Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: O200 cowling

Default O200 cowling

for those of you using an O200 and cowl, did you make the wooden mockup like the fwf directions show? i made the mockup and it looks good. my question is, can i trust it to be exact for the purpose of cutting my cowling to fit?
    thanks, ken

Default Re: O200 cowling

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    for those of you using an O200 and cowl, did you make the wooden mockup like the fwf directions show? i made the mockup and it looks good. my question is, can i trust it to be exact for the purpose of cutting my cowling to fit?
    thanks, ken
    Ken, when i installed my Continental IO-240 which is similar in size to your O-200, I made the wood mockup as per the manual. The only issue I ran into was clearance on my throttle arm, which neccessitated making a "bump" in that area by cutting a oblong hole in the top of my cowl and doing a bit of fiberglass work to make a bumpout to provide enough clearance. Remember that your engine will be moving around a bit on its mounts , so enough clearance is needed for everything under the cowl. A buddy who went through the same process with his IO-240 powered Series 5 found after a few test flights that his exhaust was melting his cowl due to insufficient clearance. A slight tilt up or down with the wood mockup can cause this to happen, so make sure you are spot on. Good luck, Bruce N199CL

Default Re: O200 cowling

I didn't use the mock-up when I did my 0-200 installation, I just used the engine. This will prevent any unknown problems. I had to use a prop spacer from Sabre, the length of the spacer will vary depending on the prop. I installed exhaust tunnels in the lower cowling to allow tail pipes to exit.
    Attached Images Attached Images