Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: UL Power engine info

Default UL Power engine info

I have read several articles over the years on the UL Power engine's out of Belgium. They are a very nice looking engine with superb machining and modern FI and electronic ignition.
    Anyone out there in Kitfox Land have any experience with one of these engines. I'm asking due to ongoing construction on another brand of plane (Murphy Rebel) and this particular engine keeps coming up in my search for a good power plant for the plane. Granted I will be going with a higher HP engine than the Rotax produces. Most likely their new 6 cylinder UL520i 180hp.

Default Re: UL Power engine info

I am planning on putting the UL520iS in my Kitfox which should be in about 18-25 months. It weighs the same as the O-235 so I know I can put it up front. EVERYTHING is on the engine. All you need to do is connect a fuel line and some wires. The UL520 engine is actually the same length as the O-235 so the UL will be be pretty close to the same distance from the firewall. Probably a little closer just to a little more weight out front in the length. Ive followed a few builds on Highlanders and Zeniths with the UL350. I have heard of a couple issues guys had but the factory support seemed excellent so that is a big plus. Either way it is a new engine but who can say no to 200HP? The fuel burn for the UL520 is .3 liters per HP per hour. So full power around 15GPH and 50% at 100HP 7GPH. Either way should be a fun project and an interesting airplane. The cool thing about the UL engines is the power curve is very flat. So at 2700RPM the UL350 still makes 120HP

If you do decide to go with the UL520 let me know because I have a buddy who is a mechanical engineer who does a lot of contract work for Pete Mcleod(Red Bull Air Race pilot) who is going to do with engine mount with me when the time comes.