Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Lycoming O235 performance?

Default Lycoming O235 performance?

Anyone flying the SS7 behind a Lycoming O235C1? Or any O235? What performance do you get and are you satisfied with your engine?

Default Re: Lycoming O235 performance?

Not flying with one in a Kitfox but my Champ has an O-235C2C installed in it via the Buzz Wagner STC. This converts the 'ol 7AC Champ to a 7AC-CONV, the equivalent of a 7CCM. It is a much heavier engine than the stock 65hp but nearly double the HP. It the Champ it makes for a great engine. Super reliable, fairly easy on fuel, and very high TBO. TBO is 2400hrs. I normally slow cruise around 75-80 mph on floats while burning approx. 4 gph at 2100rpm. Granted I can firewall it and cruise close to 100mph on floats but the fuel burn is probably close to 7gph.
    Might not answer any of you questions but it is some info.
    By the way....anyone looking for an LSA Champ on floats? I have too many airplanes and it is going up for sale in the next week or so.
    WW

I'm flying a model 5 with an 0-235 C1. Love the engine, cruise 115 to 120 mph using approx 6 US gal per hour. I'm using P-Mags which makes very easy starting and smooth running.

thanks guys. It is good to hear of success and satisfaction with this engine on the SS. My daughter and I are kicking off our project this summer.

Out of curiosity, what is your climb rate?

Where did you get your engine mount for the 0-235 C1 ? I need and engine mount for my SS conical mount. Bill
    Bill Morris Connellsville Pennsylvania

I fly out of an airport CEF4 which is 3650 ASL, and I get 600 to 1000 fpm dependent on load. Also note that the speeds that I are indicated rather than TAS at approx 5000 ft.

I fabricated my own engine mount based on the cowling I had. Tried to keep the mount a short as possible for CG considerations.