Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 532...Help! Won't start.

Default Rotax 532...Help! Won't start.

Hi all, I've flown in my Kitfox II behind a Rotax 532 for about 40 flawless hours. It has about 200 SMOH, CDI ignition, and I run premium fuel mixed with Pennzoil air-cooled oil. It has never had a hiccup until last weekend when I landed after a 3.6 hour cross country flight. When I tried to crank it later that afternoon, she simply wouldn't start. Occasionally, it would fire, but never start.

As my battery weakened, I pulled out an external power source which ran the RPMs up fairly high while cranking, and the engine would fire and sound like it was running, but once I stopped cranking it just died. After some fidgeting, I finally got it to start, and it would produce full power just fine but wouldn't idle well. After running it for a while, I shut if off. Later, I tried cranking it again...same thing.

I checked the fuel filters, the carbs for flooding and blockage, the spark plugs for fouling and gap, but nothing seems to make any change. Incidentally, on that long cross country I had to stop for gas and I put about 5 gallons of 100LL in the tank, but I've done that once before and never had this problem. Any ideas? Thanks,

Nic

Default Re: Rotax 532...Help! Won't start.

Some easy things to check and fix. Enricher plunger stuck open, water in the gas, too much oil in the gas, wrong gap on the spark plugs, idle circuit plugged.

Here's a trouble shooting guide. http://www.800-airwolf.com/pdffiles/ARTICLES/part24.pdf
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder