Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Low Fuel Sensor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Low Fuel Sensor

I agree with you Phil, I have the low fuel sensor and there is only one thing it has ever done that I think was useful: On a flight years ago I was heading into an airport to refuel, so my fuel quantity was quite low but not below the proper safety reserves. I had been flying high so I was in a long protracted descent at a fairly steep nose down attitude to lose altitude quickly. Sine the fuel was low my nose down attitude unported the wing fuel tank outlets and I was only running on fuel in the header tank, which quickly reduced the level and the low fuel warning light came on. I immediately leveled out my flight attitude and the fuel system started working properly again; a few minutes later I resumed my descent and landed with no problems. Without the low fuel sensor I probably would have starved and killed my engine before I realized what was going on and leveled the airplane. Most likely I could have leveled and done a restart with no problems, but who knows if it had happened near the ground. This was the one and only time I did appreciate the low fuel sensor. Just some food for thought from an actual experience.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Low Fuel Sensor

You definately make good points Phil and I agree.

Sad part is 56 percent of plane crashes are fuel starvation and 35%, fuel mismanagement. (https://flightsafety.org/fuel-management/)

We just had a triple fatality 3 weeks ago at my airport due to what is going to turn out to be fuel mismanagment.

My model 4 had one and I always liked the warm and fuzzies of having one. Probably just a mental thing since I like to think I plan for fuel management, but whatever helps quell the voices is always a good thing. Ha. I figured since I have the sensor, drill bit, and tap already, I might as well put it in. It won't cost any money, weight and not much time.

Thanks.