Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke questions

Default Re: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke questions

One last comment on the subject of 2 stroke vs 4 stroke;

I've had four engine failures in aircraft since I started flying 30+ years ago. Two of them were with 2 strokes, and the other two were with certified 4 stroke aircraft engines. And three of the failures happened on takeoff () All but one of the failures was fuel related, which I believe is the biggest reason for any engine failure in an aircraft.

So don't get too mezmerized by 4 stroke reliability.

Here's what I remind people of when I hear people berating 2 strokes for their poor reliability while talking up how reliable 4 strokes are;

"Fly everything like it has a 2 stroke engine in it. Any engine can fail..."

I love my 912 engines, and have never had one fail me. But I still try to fly it as if it is going to quit any minute...

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    . But I still try to fly it as if it is going to quit any minute...
    Thats what they train to prepare us for!

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Im looking to buy a used KF 3 or 4 probably, Im just undecided between the 912 and the 2 strokes that they are powered with, Ive only flown planes with 4 strokes, and never rode in a KF yet (but want to if I can find a way).

Curious on your thoughts? the 4 stroke more reliable? Cheaper to run/maintain?

Thanks!
    I don't think either one is more reliable. The operator/maintainer skillset does have a lot to do with it. I find the tinkerers are the one that have the most troubles. 912 ir a 582 does not matter.

I have thousands of 2 stroke hours and in over 30 year I have have one stop running. ( was a Rotax 185 single ignition on a Lazair in hte Very Early 80s Carbon in gap of plug- landed on one engine pulled plug- clenaed and off again)

You can find 2 sroke Kitfoxs up to Model Iv for 12 to 20k
    same one with 912 from 23 to 30 k

Or you can pay double that again for a kit and build it.

Kitfox a great plane, safe and fun.

Check my movies 503, 582 912 and 912S Kitfoxes.

It is what you can afford it seems but build them light to perform.
    I have seen 912 Kitfox IV @ 600 lbs and also some tanks at 900 lbs......
    unreal !!