Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuselage jig

Default Re: Fuselage jig

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMackey View Post
    Thanks for that I will finish the second wing before I jig the whole thing.
    DaveM
    Yeah, you need both wings to do the sweep anyways and it's best to do them both at the same time so you can ensure all the measurements match on each side before you make anything permanent.

For the strut supports I just used a 1x2 and duct taped it onto the spar and strut ends. It's just there to keep the strut from falling beyond the rod end's safe travel without ripping the rod end off. You attach the spars to the fuse while a friend is holding the end of the wing. Then attach the strut to the fuse and take the brace out. Here is a pic...
    Attached Images Attached Images

DaveM,

I checked my photos and did not have any of this jig; however,Geowitz's photo of how he secured the lift strut, and the explanation is similar.

I think the dimension shown in the manual is for locating the wood support close to the attach point of the lift strut and near the root end of the spar. If a person locates the wood support further up the strut and spar - it has to be shorter than the dimension in the manual by some amount. The idea is to locate the lower end of the lift strut so it is easy to slide on the fuselage fitting while protecting the rod ends from stress.

I think the instruction to use a 2x4 in the manual is a matter of a convenient size of material most of us have laying around - either a 2x2 or 1x2 is certainly sturdy enough for the job.

If I recall - I used a 2X4 and notched the lower end to go over the lift strut then duct taped the whole business together.

Cheers,

Dave S

Quote Originally Posted by Geowitz View Post
    Yeah, you need both wings to do the sweep anyways and it's best to do them both at the same time so you can ensure all the measurements match on each side before you make anything permanent.

For the strut supports I just used a 1x2 and duct taped it onto the spar and strut ends. It's just there to keep the strut from falling beyond the rod end's safe travel without ripping the rod end off. You attach the spars to the fuse while a friend is holding the end of the wing. Then attach the strut to the fuse and take the brace out. Here is a pic...

Thanks for that I was trying to visualise the concept but the instructions did not have a photo.

DaveM