Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuselage jig

Default Fuselage jig

Hello.

I'm from Australia and currently just starting to build a kitfox super sport 7 with a rotec radial. So far I have constructed the stabiliser and the elevator and one wing. I'm about to attach one wing to the fuselage for a dimesional check of the wash out, dihedral and sweep and need to find a simple way of levelling off the fuselage so it sits rigid on the garage floor when I attach the wing.

I'm new to this forum and need a little advice re setting up a jig to the bottom of the fuselage. Any photos would be good.

I also hope I'm in the right place of this forum to ask the question.

Default Re: Fuselage jig

Hi Dave, (BTW - great first name)

There about a thousand ways to do this. I have attached a couple photos for examples.

2196 is early on when I was fitting the wings and needing to level the fuselage. I made a cheap/low tech carriage to bolt under the gear pads - this was mostly for wheeling the fuselage around; and, then when I needed to level things up, I simply used a combination of whatever boxes/wood blocks/sandbags on the tailskid to get it to level. For lateral leveling - plywood pieces of various thicknesses in combination under the correct carriage wheel did the job.

2636 is later on when I had the gear on. - the tail dolly is an improvisation to move the plane in and out of the garage with the wings folded. There is a reason for the intermediate height of the improvised tail dolly - high enough to get the prop under the garage door and low enough to get the tail in. Again - when I needed to level it up for various purposes - just used whatever wood blocks, etc which would be the right height. For lateral leveling - plywood pieces of various thicknesses in combination under the correct main wheel was used.

Hope that helps some - there really isn't a specific jig for leveling - but a person can improvise many ways to get it - low tech and simple works.

The dirt bags in the cockpit were for balancing before the engine was attached.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dave - I should have mentioned - the wheels on the carriage are hard material - not pneumatic so there was no give/spring there.

DS

Dave's right - there's lots of ways to get the fuse leveled and geometry dialed in. I used a ratchet strap hooked from the ceiling of the work shop to the hand hold near the rear of the fuse which allowed very precise adjustments in "pitch" by making small adjustments to the ratchet strap. I adjusted the "roll" axis buy deflating the tires 1/2 way and adding tire pressure to either side as needed to level the wings. One tool that's invaluable during this process is a "smart level" (see link below). It's not cheap but it's a real time saver and makes it easy to get everything aligned. From first flight to the end of my flight test phase, the sum total of adjustment to the rigging of the airplane was turning one of the lift strut rod end bearings one turn. I doubt it would have been so close without the smart level.

http://www.lascolaser.com/product/M-...item92346.html

Thumbs up Re: Fuselage jig

Thanks guys for your prompt replies. I thought it was night time over there. Its my first time on a forum such as this and if I get this type of
    quick service, I'll be back a lot. No one around here is building anything
    remotely similiar to a radial engine kitfox so its great to have this type of help. The photos are great.

DaveM

Maybe this goes without saying, but one thing I noticed... You said you were just putting on one wing. Be careful and make sure you anchor the fuse because it will be enough weight on one side to tip.

Hi Dave,

This is how I jigged my fuselage for the IV.

I can move it on any unlevel surface and level it in a matter of minutes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Geowitz View Post
    Maybe this goes without saying, but one thing I noticed... You said you were just putting on one wing. Be careful and make sure you anchor the fuse because it will be enough weight on one side to tip.
    Thanks for that I will finish the second wing before I jig the whole thing.
    DaveM

Quote Originally Posted by Northof49 View Post
    Hi Dave,

This is how I jigged my fuselage for the IV.

I can move it on any unlevel surface and level it in a matter of minutes.
    Love the scissor jacks, great idea.

DaveM

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Hi Dave, (BTW - great first name)

There about a thousand ways to do this. I have attached a couple photos for examples.

2196 is early on when I was fitting the wings and needing to level the fuselage. I made a cheap/low tech carriage to bolt under the gear pads - this was mostly for wheeling the fuselage around; and, then when I needed to level things up, I simply used a combination of whatever boxes/wood blocks/sandbags on the tailskid to get it to level. For lateral leveling - plywood pieces of various thicknesses in combination under the correct carriage wheel did the job.

2636 is later on when I had the gear on. - the tail dolly is an improvisation to move the plane in and out of the garage with the wings folded. There is a reason for the intermediate height of the improvised tail dolly - high enough to get the prop under the garage door and low enough to get the tail in. Again - when I needed to level it up for various purposes - just used whatever wood blocks, etc which would be the right height. For lateral leveling - plywood pieces of various thicknesses in combination under the correct main wheel was used.

Hope that helps some - there really isn't a specific jig for leveling - but a person can improvise many ways to get it - low tech and simple works.

The dirt bags in the cockpit were for balancing before the engine was attached.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp

Thanks Dave thats a nice cheap way of doing it. I was thinking along the same lines. Would you also be able to help me with this? In the wing installation instructions, it refers to the making of a temporary lift strut brace 36 1/2 inches long from 2X4 board. Apparently when you install the wing this assists. Do you have any photos of this process. Its on page 14 Section C of my instructions for Wing Installation Preparation. There's no picture and I'm not quite sure where this temporary strut is installed.

DaveM