Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: bing 64 float

Default bing 64 float

while putting away the plane a few weeks ago i noticed gas dripping from the right varb vent tube . closer inspection revealed gas also from the intake scat tube for the right carb . i removed the float bowl for the right carb , luckily i hadnt spilled much gas from the bowl , noticed one float was considerably lower in the gas . granted these are the old style , early 90s mfg floats with around 400 hrs on them since late 2009 . i replace both floats and have had no further problem . just wondering if anyone else has seen this before , seemed pretty strange to me
    Attached Images Attached Images
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Default Re: bing 64 float

Did you find a wear hole in the float, with some gas inside?
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

Hi Chuck
    About a month ago my 912UL (mid 90`s) started spitting fuel. I have my vent tubes routed into the back of the air filters. I was not able to determine the problem but in desperation I changed the floats with new ones. Problem solved.
    In my case, both floated the same height, did not sink any further than the new ones do, did not have fuel inside, and they look exactly like the old ones.
    Not sure what is the difference, but the engine runs smooth as silk, no fuel spits!!
    Maybe the mfg has a "gremlin" that comes to life if we do not change out these parts according recommended useful life!!!
    Cheers
    Don

The offending float has no obvious damage . There are shinny areas at the outside corners of the float bowl where the float had been setting on the bottom .no shinny areas under the other float. I could have weighed them for a comparison but didn't think of it until it was too late . Could have been that I was still in shock over the price of two new floats and my thinking was clouded
    I had intended to replace all four floats but since everything was working good I never got around to it . the floats were a lot cheaper back then so now I pay the price for procrastinating
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

About 10 years ago I had the same problem with a dual carb 503. I had a too rich condition that appeared gradually and I kept chasing it until one day I removed the bowls for about the zillionth time and before I poured the gas out I realized the floats weren't (floating), at least not fully floating. All 4 were bad. After replacement I never had another problem. The bad ones showed no outward sign of any wear or damage. James Thomas