Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no fuel flow during test

Default Re: no fuel flow during test

I too am curious. What engine are your running and is a return line absolutely necessary for your application. This comes up because the header tank is designed with two ports near the bottom of the tank. One is directly on the bottom which is designed for a quick drain that can be accessed through the bottom skin. Then the forward facing port is for the fuel line to the valve and engine. The higher placement allows sediment and water to have a place to settle out keeping it from the carburetors. I guess you could T off of one of these ports for a third line to the header, but I don't think I would be comfortable eliminating the quick drain for the sake of a return line or putting the fuel line proper on the bottom of the tank.
    Lowell

Hello, Highwing, I am flying a 912F in a kitfox model IV. I have the new aluminum header tank and the rotax installation manual calls for the return line. I have the quick drain in the bottom of the plane but I also have an extra provision on the left side of the tank near the bottom so getting the line to it is not going to cost me any of my connections.

I am ordering the facet fuel pump tomorrow and my mechanic is reseaching the right way to ensure that it works without overpressurizing the carbs, acting like a check valve when its supposed to be delivering fuel, or any other unwanted activities that I have heard tell of in the recent past. Now if I could only figure out how to make it ... weightless!

Today I did my fuel flow test. I piped the path with 3/8 Rubber lines to the alum header with no valves. From header to the firewall is 3/8 alum. One 1/4 turn stop valve in a console. From the firewall fitting a 45 to a gascolator . I pulled the mains up on my split 40ft. extension ladder to 25 deg. nose high(Thank you John P.). Once I wet the whole system, I ran my time test. I got 16.5 gph flow rate.

If you want a simple, low cost, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, I suggest the one I used on my 601hds, to set the Ellison Injector carb to 2 psi from the fuel pump, which was at 5 psi:

http://www.performanceplusconnection...lator_Gas_6PSI

Note: Some fuel pumps are flow-through, good for use as a booster pump, but other will stop the fuel flow when the power is shut off.
    Hope this helps
    Roger