Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Nose wheel to tail wheel conversion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Nose wheel to tail wheel conversion

After getting a Kitfox checkout and tailwheel endorsement from Paul Leadabrand at Stick and Rudder in BOI I had to convert my Super Sport.

I bought 2 come-a-longs at Harbor Freight, 700 lb test rope and about $20 of lumber at Home Depot to make 2 stands (braces). The eye hooks came from Ace Hardware to get a long eye hook shaft length. Securing the eye hooks in the wood joists of the ceiling was my easiest solution. If you can figure a better top brace use it as I was constantly worried if the eye hooks would hold. I braced the airplane in as many spots as I could in case the hooks released. I also removed the prop -- just in case.

I lifted the airplane from the rear of the cockpit and that gave me enough clearance to unbolt the gear, leave the wheels on and simple roll the assembly forward. The biggest and only problem now was to ream the gear brackets and the receiving holes in the fuselage. Once all 4 holes were aligned it was an easy job to bolt the gear. I slowly released the come-a-longs, alternating from side to side, and the airplane gently settled to the ground.

Having my airplane wheeled in both configurations I can say my preference is for the tail wheel stance. But that's just me. Safe flying.
    Attached Images Attached Images