Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance for Kit

Default Insurance for Kit

I (my wife) just got a quote for insuring the Kit and it's about $450 a year from our homeowners insurance.
    I haven't checked with Aircraft insurance companies to see if they insure kit aircraft.
    Anyone have any suggestions about insurance.

(Or I might be sleeping with the plane soon)

Default Re: Insurance for Kit

Are you talking about insurance of the kit while it is under construction, for like theft and fire?

Or aircraft insurance for the Kitfox aircraft?

As a hobby project in your garage, I expect that the home owner insurance is likely to be cheap or already covered under "contents" unless excluded. If they are giving you trouble you may need a new HO insurer. For the aircraft, call a broker. I have Chartis insurance now for my situation, but a broker may find a company that fits your situation best.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

Yes it's in the building stage and wanted to make sure it was covered (Insurance) from fire, theft, trees falling on the building, rogue Racoon's. You just never know.

Thanks for the advice
    Wes

Wes,

It is a rare a homeowner's policy that will cover a kit under construction - most of them don't want to have anything to do with airplanes.

You may do a bit better with an aviation underwriter/insurer - good to check around - last info I had was most of them will insure a kit under construction for stated value @ 1% per year; i.e. $25,000 @ $250

If you are using a stated value of $45,000 for the kit in your house under construction - $450 is probably about what you will find.

Sincerely,

DS

My insurance agent for homeowners said no way.Nothing related to an aircraft would be covered. I paid about $400/year thru Avemco for a construction policy. ($40,000 value) Converted to Falcon when flying. What was worse the County found me and I had to pay about $250/year taxes on a collection of parts for several years before completion.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Ditto what Agfox said. Homeowner's insurance almost always specifically excludes aircraft and aircraft parts. DO NOT simply take the agent's word for it -- read the policy!

Is is sort of like dealing with the Government or the IRS, they will lie!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I insured my kit through the EAA. (Falcon Insurance) It's categorized as an "aircraft under construction" and, when it's ready to fly, I'll upgrade to standard aircraft insurance.

Thanks for all the information. Our homeowners insurance will cover the airplane kit for $425 a year so I will make some calls to the insurance companies for quotes.

Wes
    Kitfox 7SS, Corvair Power

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Waid View Post
    I insured my kit through the EAA. (Falcon Insurance) It's categorized as an "aircraft under construction" and, when it's ready to fly, I'll upgrade to standard aircraft insurance.

I got my Insurance for 703KA from Falcon this year, it was about $900 less then AOPA's quote! I was definately pleased to see that!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas