Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rotax 912 iS

Default Re: Rotax 912 iS

Didn't think you could hand prop a Rotax 9 series anyway?
    Last edited by Dorsal; 03-15-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

You can't prop any 912 series motors. They need to have 200 crankshaft rpm for the ignitions to fire. This can't be done by hand.

If you want to prop, get yourself a Continental.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    You can't prop any 912 series motors. They need to have 200 crankshaft rpm for the ignitions to fire. This can't be done by hand.

If you want to prop, get yourself a Continental.
    My Jabiru is the same. I thought about mounting a second battery as a backup, with an interconnect to jump start myself. The new very light batteries make the weight and location of another battery less of an issue than it used to be. If you do a lot of back country flying, I would guess being sure your battery is good and turned off when parked, would be pretty important. But an alternate source of charging voltage may be good too.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

Question Re: Rotax 912 iS

Gee, Avi8tor, Bizkid was just asking a question he didn't know the answer to. For a Moderator, you often give some less than nice replies, or is it your dry sense of humor?

Actually, a guy at the, http://www.rotax-owner.com forum, says it use to be possible to hand prop a 912, but ok, that was before the clutch was fitted, so now whit the clutch and fuel injection... hhmmm i gues the best solution is as DBVZ mention, a backup battery...

Ref: http://www.rotax-owner.com/forum/4-g...roping-the-912

Regards

Bizkid

Sorry, Nickle, it wasn't meant an offensive. I guess the statement doesn't read as I intended.

To DBVZ - I seem to remember seeing a small rechargeable jumper box (like the ones used for cars) that was intended for motorcycles. It was smaller and lighter and could be something along the line of your idea only portable.

I keep a tender on my plane in the winter and the lead for that is "hard wired" to the (very small) battery. Something like this could be a convenient "ground power" plug in an emergency...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I did that "leave the battery switch on" trick during a lunch stop once but without the usual "silent" after-effect and flew home, quite disgusted with my checklist discipline.

Back at the hangar, I wired an "electric blue" caution light (from NAPA Auto parts!) into the panel dead even with my eyeballs, so it glares into my face whenever the battery switch is "on" and I've never screwed that up again. (well, so far, anyway...)

"E.T."

My master (and other) switches have a lighted tip when on, so that helps to remind me. In my Piper we used to leave the Beacon on so if the master was left on you had an external reminder, and that worked to let people know it was about to start too. The problem, of course, with the lighted reminder is if you still miss it you will be running the battery down faster. I don't want to do that with the strobe though. No beacon now, just strobe and position lights.
    Last edited by DBVZ; 03-16-2012 at 08:00 AM.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

I spoke with a dynon rep this morning, and he assured me they would have an ems and sensor package available for the 912 IS by late july. I have already purchased the firewall foward kit, and wondering if the kit is compatible with 912 IS?

I know Rotax has a good reputation for building good engines, but I would prefer to buy something else (those high RPMs really don't appeal to me).

I'm hoping ULPower proves to be just as reliable as the Rotax. At around 180 lbs wet for 130 ponies, being fuel injected and just a grand or so more than the 912, I would prefer to go with ULPower's 350iS.

But time will only tell about the reliability factor. Plus, they need to expand their dealer network.