Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 912 starting

Default Re: 912 starting

Thanks guys, I will let you know how this turns out.
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Default Re: 912 starting

A couple of additional thoughts:

I installed a 914 last season and after approximately 75 hours or so the engine became more and more difficult to start. Seemed to get progressively worse until at aound 100 hours it wouldn't start at all. I spoke to one of the Lockwood mechanics and they suggested I change the starter jets to the next size up to get more fuel to the engine on statr-up (which I did) since they felt the cooler fall temps were a possible factor and getting more fuel to the engine on startup would help.

The other thing I did was replace all the plugs. When I pulled the old plugs (not installed by me but just over 100 hours per the engine log), they appeared slightly fouled and we're about twice the correct gap. Once these changes were made and the new plugs installed, the engine fired immediately and settled into a nice smooth idle. My thoery is that the plugs were fouling over time and the incorrect gap was not helpng things. I also gapped to the narrow side of the Rotax spec siince this will help with the starting. Prior to the plug change when the engine would start after extensive cranking, the engine would run well and generally restart raher quickly once warmed up.

One other thing...be careful checking the plugs for spark as you can easily damage the ignition modules if you crank the engine and the plugs are not properly grounded. Best way to check is with the plugs in the engine using a capacitive ignition light on the plug wires.

Good luck!