Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What does the Kitfox community think of Sport Aviation?

Default What does the Kitfox community think of Sport Aviation?

There has been a lot of discussion of Sport Aviation on several other boards, but none started by me...I thought I'd ask the community here what you all think of it? I am taking the lead for homebuilt coverage in the magazine now, and I like the vision we have developed for future stories...covering the people, what it took to get the project complete, challenges along the way, family and friend involvement, and of course, the airplane. That's a very condensed version of what we've spent several meetings developing...much more coming.

What say you?

Default Re: What does the Kitfox community think of Sport Aviation?

I like it, but think it needs more how to articles on homebuilders projects. Something the average builder can relate to and has probably been faced with during construction. The Hints for Homebuilders is good, so don't get rid of it. By the way, I liked your article in the latest edition on your first test flight.

Dick B

There should be more technical content, eg electrical, mechanical "how to" articles. Some woodworking, fabric work, steel tubing,welding and of course sheet metal construction.

Chad,
    I also enjoyed your article (Feb '12).

I'm too new to know much about homebuilding, but anything to bring new people in and provide a glimpse into the world of homebuilding, from research to purchasing to flight test like you just did, is great. If people want more specifics, they have many options to go into clubs and type-dedicated forums like this one.

Mark
    EAA # I forget

I have to admit I'm not really a fan of the "new and improved" Sport Aviation. I will continue to be a member due to my involvement on the local chapter level (Officer Chapter UL75 - 130+ members), but the mag is losing me.

I liked the old SA, like back in the 80s, for example. The focus of the content was technical and aircraft oriented. Building tips and tricks. Articles about the airplanes, not the owners life stories. (The Corsair article in February's issue for example: all people no plane.) And what's with all the pushing of the no-market, unusable electric airplanes? Some sort of Solyndra-esc green push?

Writers have been added from the non-experimental world who's contributions seem to have come right from Plane and Pilot or Flying magazine, with little or no relevance to the EAA world. Mostly about million dollar certified planes, IFR techniques and travel brochure photography. Soon to come the same old rehashed reviews of the "new" Archer or Skylane?

It seems like all kinds of off topic "fluff" has been added to the proportionately small amount of EAA-tech content to fill the coffee-table picture book that I get in the mail every month. Plus, who's idea was the over-sized "Life Magazine" format, anyway?

You guys just had a major "right sizing" of the staff over there at EAA-HQ. Now, maybe its time to do the same thing with the Magazine: Refocus.

In my opinion.
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 02-08-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

i'll second what av8r3400 said. too much of the high cost certified aircraft and not enough for the little guy do it yourselfer. and the larger magazine doesn't stack well with the others.
    ken

I also agree that the "new" magazine is to much about people and high priced aircraft. There are plenty of chapters that your editor can contact and find out what "mom & pop" are building and do come creative articles on Construction and problem solving. lets get out among the Builders and talk to them!!!!!!!!!

I agree with most of the previous comments. Most of us also subscribe to "Flying", "AOPA Pilot", so there are plenty of magazines to get info on the non-builder end of aviation. The EAA is the one place you expect to find a focus on building, especially the smaller more common stuff. Safety articles relating to experimental planes are also good.

Jim

Flying magazine lost me years ago with all the multi million dollar stuff they wrote about that I would never see or get to use
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I agree with everyone's post on this subject. Sport Aviation is the only flying mag I receive now and I am concerned that it is going the same direction as the other magazines.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF