Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat Install Hardware

Default Seat Install Hardware

On my Super Sport there are tabs welded to the fuselage tubing that appear to be for nutplates to attach the seat. I seem to remember asking John McBean about it and he confirmed this. However, today I tried to mount the nutplates and found the tabs have the wrong hole layout. Apparently, nutplate mounting holes are 11/16" apart and the holes in the tabs are 3/4" apart. I realize these fit the camlocs, but that doesn't really help. Anybody know what the deal is?
    Last edited by szicree; 01-23-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Default Re: Seat Install Hardware

Not sure I understand this as my seat rests on the support tubes and is held in with zip ties. Could you be talking about the tabs for the aft slanted floor boards? a picture would be good.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by szicree View Post
    On my Super Sport there are tabs welded to the fuselage tubing that appear to be for nutplates to attach the seat. I seem to remember asking John McBean about it and he confirmed this. However, today I tried to mount the nutplates and found the tabs have the wrong hole layout. Apparently, nutplate mounting holes are 11/16" apart and the holes in the tabs are 3/4" apart. I realize these fit the camlocs, but that doesn't really help. Anybody know what the deal is?
    We are continually "upgrading" the SS. Obviously these are items that would go un-noticed by a first time builder but would instantly be seen by a second time builder.

These tabs are on the fuselage to mount the seat. No need for zip ties. They are sized for Camlocs so you will either need to drill for nut plates (what we do) or you can just hand place the nuts when installing the seat. Im sure there are other ideas to mount the seat.. Be sure to use a large area washer on the seat side for final installation.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Learn somthing new everyday, nice upgrade.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I am using Monadnack clip nuts from Aircraft Spruce to secure the floorboards. Not sure if those would work for what Steve is referring to. My 2008 kit does not have this handy feature.
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcbean View Post
    These tabs are on the fuselage to mount the seat. No need for zip ties.
    Nice upgrade. This is something that I have looked at every time I cut the zip ties. It's on my list of potential future upgrades to deal with.

Thus far my best idea has been to take some adel clamps around the top tube without the rubber backing, then bolt through that.

The other thought was to hysol down a triangle of alum to the tubes somehow and drop in some nutplates.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

I ran into this same issue as I tried to put nut plates onto the prewelded tabs. The small rivet holes are off by only a very small amount, so I used the nutplate as a drill guide and redrilled the rivet holes, essentially ending up with a slightly egg-shaped hole. I then riveted on the nutplates with pop rivets and they seemed to hold fine in the slightly out-of-round holes. Its not like there are flight loads on these nutplates.

Jim

i see john's answering questions even while relaxing in the bahamas. now that's dedication!

We have very nearly the same airframe Dorsal has - manufactured about the same time - no tabs for the seat either.

Just another option for tab-less folks. I don't have a photo; but, we used the plain AN 742 clamps (which are cheap, no cushion band, and also appear to be a little thinner than the ADEL clamps with the cushion taken off) to go around the tubes. To cushion the clamp from the tube a single wrap of Hockey Stick Tape was placed (Conveniently comes in black or white and sort of a non-slip surface) around the tube where each clamp went. The remainder of the assembly uses a machine screw with a washer and nylock nut to secure the seat to the frame - approximately at each point where a zip tie was called for in the manual. Provides an extremely secure assembly.

I really like the modification John came up with on the recent models - running a screw into a nutplate on a tab is SO much slicker than messing with a clamp and separate hardware pieces. I have to get the rear floorboards and baggage thing out of the way to get at the nuts.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    St Paul, MN
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp

Is the hardware for the new seat pan install included in the kit? My instructions say zip tie but I have the nut plate tabs. Do I have to buy nut plates or did they come with somewhere? If I do have to buy nut plates, what size do I need? I have not worked with nut plates yet so any help would be appreciated.