Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat Install Hardware

Default Re: Seat Install Hardware

Esser, I had extra nut plates with the wing tip hardware. I used these nutplates for the seat and the rudder trim tab that I made.

Scott

Josh,
    I don't know if this wil be helpful or not. Are the tabs drilled with pilot holes, or is the center hole full size for a camloc? If pilot hole drilled, I would suggest Nutserts. They are available from ACS. You will need the "disposable" tool. What I do when inserting them is chuck the cap screw in my cordless drill and with the tool in a box wrench spin the cap screw to set the nutsert in place. If you use the allen wrench, eventually it will wear and slip. My disposable tool is years old. It is only the cap screw that needs replacing from time to time.I have used them extensively on lots of projects. I prefer them to rivnuts because they are steel vs. aluminum.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Is the hardware for the new seat pan install included in the kit? My instructions say zip tie but I have the nut plate tabs. Do I have to buy nut plates or did they come with somewhere? If I do have to buy nut plates, what size do I need? I have not worked with nut plates yet so any help would be appreciated.
    The tabs for the seat are setup and pre-drilled... You can use nutplates, nutserts or use hardware. The tabs can be reached by hand to put nuts on. The hardware makes removal and installation a little more difficult.. the nutserts ar a good choice but can slip over time.. again, you can get to them by hand so if they did slip they would not be hard to fix. The nutplates will require you to drill new holes.. or enlarge the holes.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

In the age of the Internet a picture is still worth a 1000 words.
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox

I am thinking of going with rivnuts. I was going to use nutplates but the holes are about 1/8" too far apart. I have never used rivnuts. Does anybody have any recommendations for the rivnut puller and for notching?

I've used the Harbor Freight 3 in 1 rivet puller to set rivnuts for my tail access cover. http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-...kit-94100.html

It did the job without breaking the bank. I'm not sure about the notching you mentioned.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I was under the impression you put a small notch in the material you are adding the rivnut to about a 1/4 of the diameter of the rivnut so that it resists rotating.

I used nutplates. I believe they are more secure than rivnuts. Yes the two rivet holes in the weld tab are too far apart, but I don't think they are as bad as 1/8". Using the nutplate as a drill guide I just egged out the holes a little until the rivets went in just fine. The two rivets in a nutplate only serve to keep the plate from rotating while you tighten the screw, so I wouldn't worry much about some slightly egged out holes in a non-critical spot like the seat. The old way was to use zip ties!

Jim

I didn't notch mine and they haven't spun. Guess I'd like the answer on the notching tool too.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

This guy has a nifty tool for notching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...u_ba6qAM#t=35s