Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailering My plane home

Default Trailering My plane home

Just bought a KF-II. Will be trailering it home (about 450 miles). A friend has a 16.5 trailer I will use. Should I put the plane on nose first or tail first. I'm not sure the wings will clear the back of the truck if I put it on tail first.
    Any ideas? I have five days until time to do it.
    Thanks

Default Re: Trailering My plane home

Hi Steve,

Although our plane is a series 7, not a KFII - the theory should be similar.

Se attached photos note that the blocks under the tailskid on the first photo were only temporary - not used for the Drive

1) Don't know if you have the transport kit; but thought it might not be a bad idea to mention it here. Several components A) Tail pad which fits over the tail and makes a cushion between the flaperons and tail - also helps secure the rudder (probably several ways to work around this if a person doesn't have one) B) Wing lockback braces - secures the wings/tail together between the rear lift strut attach and the tube at the front of the tail. C) Wing support braces - go between the front spar attach holes and the bottom of the fuselage - very important to keep from damaging the wing and rear spar due to torsion caused by road bumps. The transport gear should be visible in looking over the two photos.

2) We loaded with the nose to the front as shown in the photos so the CG of the plane was ahead of the trailer axels and to keep the airflow over the tail feathers going the right direction.

Many folks on this list have custom trailers designed for the purpose which they have described - we didn't - just used what was available in the manner shown in the photos.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just trailored a KF4 for 400 miles, towed it facing forward for tongue weight, used wide masking tape and sealed the open wings so no crap would enter and also not to allow the wind to force the fabric off the spars etc, used support bars for the wings to the bottom of the rudder and tied it down to the trailer using the float mounts forward and aft of the landing gear, also used wheel chalks to ensure no rolling even though tied in place, secured the prop to prevent spinning, i didnt need to close off the open turtle deck as the weather was good yet very cold. secured the tail wheel to stop any hopping, also emptied the wing tanks of fuel to avoid flexxing ... good luck.
    Gary
    Kitfox 4 1200
    Eastern Ontario
    Canada

We will also have to transport a Kitfox home. But we don't have the 'transport kit' A B C as mentionned by Dave S.

Is this kit specific for each plane (braces length) or they fit on all ?

The plane is a Speedster nose gear and the ride is 1800 miles (from Tulsa,OK)

So, it would be pretty much the same installation as Dave S.

thanks

Jacques

Hello Jacques
    If I was trailering for that distance I would make up a saddle similar to that shown in my album. This way all the shock loads at the rear of the fuselage are supported on the carry through tubes. Wing supports can be easily built using steel conduit. I am not sure I would use a car hauler type rig either. Remember your load is only 650 to 800 lbs. I brought mine home from CA with no issues. For weather protection I "shrunk wrapped" the entire a/c. It might have been over-kill but it was sure nice to get it home in the same condition as I bought it! Have fun with it.
    Cheers
    Don

For all you seasoned Kitfox veterans out there. If you were just going to do one 1800mi trip and then planned on never trailering it again could you not just take the wings right off so you wouldnt need the trailing kit? Maybe make a couple wooden jigs for the wings to be strapped to the trailer on separately? Or is this a bigger hassle then it is worth?

One more version, thats a spring loaded stool under the rear (strapped under compression) worked well but I only had to go < 20 miles.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Here is another version. Avid Aerobat. Trailer has a winch to drag the plane on and off, folding ramps, axle moved back and sand ballast in the front for CG, trailer kit installed with gust blocks, turtle deck below in a padded mount. Very effective straps and tail support system. No trouble at 65-70 mph. Trailer fenders have been moved over the tires since this picture.

Some people start with a boat trailer, so the axle is already in the right place. I had one like that briefly, but sold it to a KF3 buyer who used it to haul his purchase home about 2000 miles. Correct spring loading on that one too, and he loaded it nose forward. Again, no problems. I may have a picture of that too. I will look.

Biggest issue we had was the open rear cabin area with the wings folded. On a trip from MI to SC recently we spent 2 nights in a motel in KY with tarps over the plane, waiting for the weather to clear up. We now have made a custom fit vinyl cover that will attach in the turtle deck area and keep wind and rain out, extending up and over the roof with Velcro spit for the flaperon shafts. No need to disconnect them to fold the Avid wings.

I second the concern about using a car hauler for just a 600 pound aircraft. The springs are not going to work at all, so just like an un-sprung trailer. Especially without the right support for the wing roots.
    Last edited by DBVZ; 01-03-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

This started as a boat trailer. Was converted to a quad hauler with a flat deck, rear ramps, surge brakes, and the cargo pod. I think it was a 2006 trailer. Lots of strap hooks for the quads. Fit this Kitfox very well. I would have loaded rear forward, but the guy who bought it did it this way and had no trouble on a 2000 mile trip (each way) last summer , when he went to get the plane he bought. Color even matched his truck and plane.
    Last edited by DBVZ; 01-03-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    One more version, thats a spring loaded stool under the rear (strapped under compression) worked well but I only had to go < 20 miles.
    Did you take your airplane camping, Dorsal?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime