Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailering My plane home

Default Re: Trailering My plane home

I used some sand bags to counter weight my model 2 and keep the touge weight in check. Pulling it noise first worked great with little noticable drag.
    Hope this helps
    Roger

Here are my recommendations:
    Tow the aircraft facing forward with the tail elevated enough to put the wings at a slight negative angle.
    Tail support should be braced securely. Should a single strap fail with the wings at a negative angle the aircraft will remain on the trailer.

If the wings are at a positive angle, a single strap failure could allow the aircraft to change lanes without you.

If the wings are near level, there is no need to drain the tanks when folding wings.
    Fold wings after aircraft is loaded on the trailer.
    Towing facing forward puts the aircraft CG forward on the trailer for better tongue weight. Negative tongue loads will tend to fishtail.
    Forward towing gives better tow vehicle clearance when making turns.

Cover the wing roots, turtle deck, and cockpit to keep out air, water and debris. Seal with tape.
    Use towing struts to support thewing forward spars at the root end and support the forward wing lift struts at the empanage.
    Use gust locks with appropriate padding to keep controls from banging.
    Double strap everything.
    Chocks should be anchored or bolted to the trailer.
    Towing forward puts the least amount of strain on the airframe or flight controls.
    Towing with the wings in a slightly negative angle improves tow vehicle fuel economy and performance.
    Open wings before unloading from trailer.

Things to avoid:
    Wings at a severe angle to relative wind. Negative loads can damage wings.
    Wings at a sever positive angle. If straps break the aircraft will depart the trailer for a short flight.
    Wings at severe angles greatly affect tow vehicle performance and fuel economy.

John Pitkin

A recent story and pics here of how not to do it ... (you may have to register to see the pics - avid was being towed tail-forward, one wing broke free on highway - ouch!!)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/avid_flyer/message/32611
    Wings coming loose while towing.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/avid_flyer/message/32611
    Wings coming loose while towing.[/QUOTE]I read a story about a guy in Australia with an Avid Amphib on a trailer. He got where he was going and the plane was gone! He went back along his route and the plane was "parked" off the road. Not much damage, fortunately. Secured it better for the rest of the trip. Loaded front forward, tail down, in that case. How could you miss the departure of the aircraft? Perhaps only side mirrors to the rear. But still, on corners you should still see it even behind a big box truck.
    Last edited by DBVZ; 01-04-2012 at 10:14 AM.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

Okayyyyyyyyyy......

I might just FLY iy home then I send the papers to FAA for my licence conversion as I can't fly a US registerd plane with my canadian licence
    Jacques
    Series 5 Outback
    0-235 L2C

Hey everybody!

Two friends and I got the Kitfox II home Saturday afternoon, with no problems.
    We loaded it nose first and did not elevate the tail, but strapped the tail down securely and it did not bounce around.
    Thanks for all the photos and hints.
    you're a great bunch of folks!

Steve Schlager
    Carterville, IL
    "Little Red Fox"

Pictures??
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlager View Post
    Hey everybody!

Two friends and I got the Kitfox II home Saturday afternoon, with no problems.
    We loaded it nose first and did not elevate the tail, but strapped the tail down securely and it did not bounce around.
    Thanks for all the photos and hints.
    you're a great bunch of folks!

Steve Schlager
    Carterville, IL
    "Little Red Fox"
    Great. It is kind of fun to trailer a plane, right? Kids pointing, some people taking pictures on their phone, questions when you stop for fuel and food. Any issues with the weather? How did you close up the rear roof opening? And yes, pictures.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

On the way home, a minivan passed us and a little boy was waving at us like crazy.
    I would love for him to show up at our airport. That's the kind of kid I look for at the airport. He might be a future airline pilot, given the right encouragement.

Steve Schlager

P.S.:As soon as I figure out how to post pics, I'll put some on. Help, anybody?

It is pretty easy. Click on the paper clip (in reply mode) and you can choose file to identify the picture from your hard drive to upload. Wait for the upload, and done.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat