Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant temperatures for a Model 5

Default Coolant temperatures for a Model 5

I've seen a ton of questions about coolant temps but they always lack information on how much TAPING or LOUVERS were required to get those temps.....

For those of you with Model 5/6/7 smooth cowl 912S engines,
    how much taping does it take to get into the 180-190 degree oil
    and coolant realm when it's 45 degreesF outside?

I currently get 180 oil 180 coolant at 45degrees with about 1/4 of
    my oil cooler (with themostat) and 1/4 of my radiator taped up.

Also curious if the group thinks the above temps are still too cold for
    winter operations in Oregon?

Thanks!
    ~Wild

Default Re: Coolant temperatures for a Model 5

G`day Wild
    Since installing a coolant thermostat on my Vixen (912UL) it seems to be much easier to maintain oil temps at 200F. Warmup time is also much faster. Right now with temps around freezing I have the oil cooler about 80% taped over. The coolant is 180F.
    Don

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I am going to be watching this post closely.

I too would like to keep the temps up on the oil and coolant, it's - 4 F here this morning !
    I am considering installing a cockpit controllable cowl flap to control the cowl exit air.
    I will do tests first with oil thermostat and coolant inline thermostat and tape over the oil cooler and possibly coolant rad ( can't get at coolant rad with cowls on)

Looking forward to seeing what people are getting for numbers ; Kevin
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

On my Outback (smooth cowl 912S) I am getting 180 oil and 160 coolant with no tape over either radiator/cooler with an OAT of 45 degrees F. When OAT's are nearer 75F, they are 200 and 170 respectively.

I plan to tape up 1/4 of my oil cooler soon as winter properly sets in to maintain 200 (oil) if possible. I'm not fussed where the coolant temps are as long as they are between 150 and 190 that's fine with me.

Out of interest, is it critical to get the oil past 212F to boil off any condensation in the oil or will temps of 180 still do that?
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

Don (kitfox2009) are you saying the coolant temperature increase
    has CAUSED a notable oil temperature increase as well (regardless if
    this is done thru a coolant thermostat or taping) i'm curious if this relationship is always true???

Wild
    All I know is that since installing the thermostat (and always maintaining 180F) it seems to be much easier to get the oil temp up. Last year I tried rad shutters and tape but was never able to regulate coolant temps properly. It has not been really cold here yet (about-5F on a cold day) but so far the thermostat seems to have made a big difference. By the time I taxi for T/O the engine is in the green.
    Don

Sorry. that should be -5C.

I've been told by the guys at LEAF that the oil must get to 180° F in order to evaporate moisture out of it. 212° would 'boil' out the water, but getting to 180° will thoroughly 'evaporate' the water condensate out.

For the record, I don't run an oil cooler on my 912UL (round cowl) and will usually see 220-230° oil temp in the summer (~80° OAT) and 180-200° in the winter, ski flying (10-30° OAT). If you are running the MX-4T Mobil oil, your oil temp redline is 280°.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Wild,

We have a smooth cowl 7 with the rotax 912ULS (100hp)

Summer oil temp holds 220 to 240 - mostly @ cruising around 220 - 225 - higher on climb out.

When it gets below OAT 45 F I tape over 1/3 to 1/2 of the oil cooler with "500 mph" tape

When it gets below OAT 35 F and stays there I tape over the whole oil cooler and that keeps it around 215 - 230 - I can pretty much leave the oil cooler taped over for 5 months.

The Oil thermostat or adjustable shutter (like cowl flaps for the oil cooler) would be great - but my roll of "500 mph" tape is already paid for and will probably last me 150 years.

Just another thought to throw out - I have a friend with the same engine in another type of experimental - he has an insulating blanket that he wraps around the oil tank in the winter - remember the oil tank is designed to be a radiator for the oil system and it sheds a lot of heat.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Good point about the oil tank Dave - a blanket around that would be smart if you have room.

Does anyone block airflow to their heads to control their head temps, or does everyone focus on the radiator and oil cooler for this control?

My head temps are low too, so i'm just wondering if covering the rad allows for enough control.....