Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Gap Seals

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gap Seals

I think I finally figured out how to post pics to my album. Today I took a couple of pics of my "gap seals" made from 3/4" plumbing pipe insulating foam. The pics are in my album.

Default Re: Gap Seals

Looks like a good seal on the horz stab. How is it behaving now?

I really like my gap seal back there. The down side I have found is it's pretty sensitive at cruise.

Regarding the vortex generators, have you noticed any decrease in cruise speed?

Clever idea. I had gap seals in my first Model IV and will in my present project, but your design takes the prize in simplicity.

Here are my gap seals. They have been on the aircraft for more than a year now I think and still look great !! They are made from a figure 8 shaped piece of sponge rubber with the top of the8's cut out. They just slide in and fit perfectly. Originally I bought one length of the rubber at the flea market and didn't know what to do with it till I got home from my vacation. I wish I had bought all the vendor had as when I saw him again ,he didn't have any more nor did he know what they were for or where to get them. Well about a month ago I went back to the flea market and the "rubber man" had about 5 lengths so I bought them all.
    I am not going to all of them but wanted some spare rubber in case this stuff ever wears out. I would be willing to part with a few lengths if anyone is interested. Each length(about 5 feet or so) should be enough to do one elevator/stab. It only comes in blue but should be paintable I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't have to deal with tape anymore with these seals. previously I had gone thru 3 rolls of different types of "gap seal" tapes in an attempt to get something to stick for a few months. It is a mess getting that adhesive off !

Would love to try a length if you are willing to part with it
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive