My first truly forced landing hopefully my last. in my Kitfox 4 1050 912ul. Was on cross wind runway 8 Pearson Field KVUO. Everything looked good for pre-flight and run up. I took off and when I turned cross wind,(900 feet) my RPM dropped and engine sputtered needle slogging around 3000- 3600 then down to 1500-2200 I immediately turned left toward runway looking over my shoulder, announcing to tower I was doing an emergency landing no one else was in pattern. I was high for 26 so I kept close and descended in my downwind keeping lots of options open. During the down wind it seamed to smooth out so I added full power and engine was coming back then did the same thing started to cough and sputter. When the time came I turned a base to final and wheel landed. Tower was happy said i did well A pilot friend was working on his ship and heard the engine quit, so he came running to see, said he saw the whole thing told me I did really well he has had 2 forced landings himself.
All I could think was I wanna fly now, darn it.
It's like everyone say's Everything gets clear and you see all your options open up in an instant. You just stay cool and sharp.
I can replicate this every time trying to trouble shoot, I have video of what happens, I don't know how to share the video here. would love any advice, I think it's the fuel pump.
I have 468 hours on the engine and have flown over 100 hours this year, new fuel filter and put another new one on yesterday, no joy! fuel is good hi grade stuff from an F.B.O.

I am glade that I have practiced this so many times, most of my landings I do as an engine out. Also I fly to train almost never am i dillying around up there. Constant improvement is the game in aviation.