HIGH COUNTRY:

You mentioned wanting a low cost 4-stroke. If you have the Kitfox model 3 or 4, Great Planes VW makes a firewall forwared kit for the Kitfox (That's what I am installing on my plane) . Below is data from a previous thread:

This was the original post, and since then one of the members of our forum flew in it a few months back and thought these performance numbers were basically correct with respect to rate of climb and cruise speed (though he didn't weight it). Note: it does have the speed wing mods and vortex generators, it is also a tri-gear with spring gear, so my plane will be setup almost exactly the same as this one as mine has already been converted to Tri-gear (but will run the larger 2300cc engine on car gas)
Here is the post:
Ok, I finally was able to get the performance numbers off a flying Kitfox-4-1200 with a 2180 Great Plains VW motor installed, it‘s the one in St. Louis, currently listed on Barnstormers.
The great thing about this plane is it’s a known quantity. As VW aero engines can be anything from a 1600 cc 45HP engines to a 2300cc 100+ HP monsters (with water cooled heads), this engine has been identified as a 76 HP Great Plains 2180 cc engine turning a Sterba 62x32 prop at 3000 rpm in cruise. This engine requires Avgas at this HP rating and develops peak power at about 3500-3600 rpm, but typically cruises at 3200 rpm, which is close to where the peak torque is created.

N53RJ KitFox IV Speedster

Weights:
Basic Empty Weight = 700lbs
Max Weight = 1200lbs
Usefull Load = 500lbs
Fuel Capacity = 27 Gallons
Wing span = 28.8 ft.
Fuel Burn = 4 - 4.5 Gallons an hour
Cruise speed (economy setting) = 90 to 95 mph at 1500 feet (3000 rpm).
Cruise speed (high setting ) = 110 mph at 7500 msl.
Max speed (At full power) = 115 mph at 7500 msl.
Rate of Climb (two people) = 700 fpm
Rate of Climb (One ) = 1000 fpm
Take off roll at Gross Wt = 300 feet
Landing roll at Gross Wt = 300 feet
Stall speed (with vortex) = 37 mph
Approach speed = 60 mph

Final note, I think the cruise speed could be improved with a prop diameter 2 inches smaller, though the rate of climb maybe negatively affected (or not). I would call the rate of climb good for a small cheap plane, better than the cessna 152 I flew at gross weight !!!!

Roger