Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rust!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rust!!

This morning I was looking over my kit, thinking about what I was going to do next when I noticed an area about four inches wide, near the center of the elevators, where the powdercoat seemed bubbled. Tapping it with my fingernail, it sounded hollow. I chipped at it with my nail and sure enough, the powdercoat came off and revealed RUST! Thick rust! This was not my doing. I guess something was done wrong during the powdercoat process. Not to mention the work I put in attaching the ribs and foam end caps. I received my kit on August 1st, too quickly I think for even the humidity in Miami to have caused this. I'll be emailing Kitfox also, although I don't expect a reply for a few days since they are closed for the holidays. Check your parts carefully in case someone else has this problem you can catch it before you cover anything.

This third photo is a bit blurry but you can see the extent of the bumps under the powder coat.

Last edited by Jorge&Cindy; 12-30-2008 at 09:21 AM.