Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hks 700t

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hks 700t

So I went to see an actual HKS 700T down at Greensky Adventures in Florida. It's a pretty engine and I am very optimistic about the install. It will definitely work one way or another. Placed an order and it should be here in a few weeks. Here are a few pics with my cowling. It's the Classic IV smooth cowling so there is a little more room, but the round cowl should be adaptable as well with a few modifications.

A few pics below. I will keep updates on this thread with pertinent info about weight and balance, fitting of components, engine mount, etc. Preliminary thoughts on these issues looks promising.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Geowitz; 10-12-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Default Re: Hks 700t

You'll like the HKS its a great engine, you'll have no problems with your cowl. I have a round cowl and had to make a couple of extra bumps but its worked good for 460+ hrs.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

It's here!!!!!! Came with wiring harness, exhaust, fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, intercooler, etc...

Gotta start getting things ready to make an engine mount. Hope to have it at least bolted up in a few weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the words of Tim Alan "argh argh argh", very nice
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi ,
    Nice looking engine.
    I know little of this engine so please forgive any stupid questions. From looking at the pictures, is this a 2 cylinder ? what kind of horse power ?
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Yup, 2 cylinder turbo, 80HP, BUT just to clarify(and brag a little)it's a true(takeoff to 3 min max) 80HP from Sea level up to 16,500 feet(Max continuous is 79HP). Because of the turbo it out performs the Rotax 912UL from the ground up and actually surpasses the 912 ULS in HP from 7000 feet and up. Granted, the Turbo version is somewhat new, but their track record as a company overall is excellent and the reviews on the engine have been consistently great. Don't get me wrong. I like the Rotax 912's and wouldn't mind having one, but HKS is also a great, reliable, and proven company.

The 60 HP version is the same size externally, but the new turbo version is actually a longer stroke with different oiling and other internal changes. The engine has two separate ECMs each with their own injectors, ignitions, and sensors. I've got a 72 inch IVO Medium Prop with in flight adjust for it which is pretty necessary to take advantage of the consistent power at all altitudes/air densities. Total weight should be around 155 lbs with everything including prop. The power and weight fit the Kitfox IV perfectly.

I've got the smooth cowling so I'm gonna try to fit the intercooler inside, but it would easily mount where most currently mount their radiator. Since it has the same external dimensions as the 60HP it will fit in the round cowl without too much modification besides trimming in a few small spots for clearance.