Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change 912

Default Re: Oil Change 912

http://www.rotax-owner.com/rotax-blog/item/6-what%E2%80%99s-in-an-oil-filter

this is the link to the item on the rotax owners site that explains the new filter . works well at stopping the oil from draining into the engine when the airplane is sitting but still takes plenty of prop blades to get the burp after its been flying .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    I've been considering reworking the mount on my 1200 project to locate the tank like that and to allow the use of the Rotax intake plenum.
    The engine mount was an enjoyable project, that became not so fun. It was the prototypical example of how one change can affect so many things - each one becoming an unforseen challenge. I did it primarily because of the trim systems and other mods I made on the vertical and horizontal tails and I wanted the engine about 2 and a half inches further forward for W/B considerations. It didn't add much additional room to no room behind the engine. I had to do plastic surgery on my firewall - Didn't occur to me to build around the firewall. Then plumbing the cooling was a nightmare - I did look at access to the coolant pump, but nothing else. The electrical worked pretty well, but was tight in areas. The relatively heavier 7 makes for much more room between engine and firewall as the engine is even further forward and the task there is a lot easier. I also considered the smooth cowl like the black and green Zebra striped Model IV near the factory. I think it looks really good, but went and modified what I had. Then I always think of my buddy that started about when I did on this one and he has been flying for a year already.
    Lowell

Lowell,
    Absolutely brilliant !!(as is usual for you)
    Dick Maddux
    Milton,Fl

Anyone know.... where is the best place to get the new rotax filter? ACS doesn't list any filters for the 912.

Jerry , I've been getting them from either spruce or California power systems .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    Anyone know.... where is the best place to get the new rotax filter? ACS doesn't list any filters for the 912.
    Jerry, I just got one from John and Deb at the Factory. They always have quick turn-around. Good practice to keep the $ in the "family" if they have the items
    Dan
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Just ordered 2 filters from Spruce. They have finally dropped there prices on them. ( "down" to $19 (and change). Lockwood and LEAF also have them of course.
    Dick

For the sake of an extra 10 minutes, why would you want to suck the oil out of the tank when you could clean the tank thoroughly, inspect the gauze and also get all the sludgy oil out?

Just curious.
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

I think the theory is to suck the oil out then clean the tank but not disconnect the lines and remove the tank. In my case I have a quick-drain on the bottom of the tank and my reasoning for this is as follows.

1) Minimize air in the lines; I suspect that once the oil is below the pick-up tube syphon action will pull air into the oil lines, with this method that is less than 10 seconds. I have no idea if this matters but in my opinion leaving the tank empty or taking the cover off or taking the lines off all represent the same breach of the oil system possibly suggesting a need to purge the system.

2) Disassembly; Everything that is disassembled has the opportunity to be reassembled wrong, I try to be as carful as the next guy but .....

3) It is quick, clean and effective and candidly I am less likely to put it off, 25 hours of flying can go by pretty fast in the summer

4) I will fully remove and clean the tank on the 100 hr inspections, re-fill and purge at that time.

Again I have no idea if any of this matters but it's what makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (OK not really but you get the idea)
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I'm pretty sure this will be my routine as well. The annual has been a thorough project in the past. I like the reasoning.
    Lowell