Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extra spending cash/gas money

Default Extra spending cash/gas money

Just trying to get some more creative juices flowing...

I know this seems to be more or less prohibited by the FAR's, BUT has anyone brainstormed some creative ways to legally(or arguably legally)make money in an experimental amateur built plane like the Kitfox?

Default Re: Extra spending cash/gas money

I think it's alot more to the more side than less.. I cant think of anything you can do with an EAB to make money that would pass the grin test... as in, you could try to argue it without grinning like a sheepish idiot cause you know your argument holds no water.

Aerial photography. You're charging for the photos, not the flight.

In Canada they have that locked up tight: The airplane was used to take photos that are made for profit therefore it is illegal

It's also locked up tight here in the US. Dont think that it has not been tried before, and the results were less than stellar....

I understand the certificate says "for education and recreation" and the FAR's say:

1. The aircraft cannot be used for purposes other than it was certified for.
    2. The aircraft cannot carry persons or property for hire.

Now I can agree that taking photos for money or skywriting is not necessarily education or recreation, but neither is flying to another city for a work related purpose and people do that all the time in EAB aircraft.

Do you have specific examples where the FAA has come down on a pilot for violating 1?

Flying to a city for business you are not making money directly related to the flight as you could have driven etc. Photography you NEED the plane for those angles. Either way you can do what ever you want but up here it's pretty cut and clear. Not worth it in my mind. But people do it. Either way your insurance would be void if they could prove it which means it might end up costing you a lot more money than you made if an accident ever happend. Pretty rare but it is an option to look at too.

I'm not really pushing for this as I've already figured it's pretty cut and dry, but just trying to get some viewpoints. Interesting discussion so far.

The FAR's do not prohibit making money, they prohibit using the plane for purposes other than recreation and education. Flying to visit my mother-in-law is neither.

hahaha, just made me spit coffee all over my keyboard!