Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordered my kit today

Default Ordered my kit today

Well I got an email from Debra today with an invoice and the receipt for my deposit. If all goes to plan I will have my kit in December shipped by Partain.

I got most of the options including quick build wings and the Laker leading edge as well as upgraded the 6.00 wheels to 8.50s. So if all goes to plan I'll be hitting the skies with you all. Goal is to be able to fly it to Oshkosh '13

Default Re: Ordered my kit today

Congrats on beginning the journey!

That is great Esser...now you can make use of the time getting the shop ready for your build. Congrats!
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Congratulations!!
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Thanks guys. I'm pretty excited as you cna imagine.

DanB, that is the plan. I need to get more lights set up and epoxy the floor and generally make it more cosy so that my girlfriend doesn't mind hanging out in there so much.

Does anyone have some good tips for setting up a shop to build a kitfox?

way to go. i would suggest that you build a wing rack with casters to store the wings and be able to move them around. also build a rolling two sided board from 4x8 ply wood to stapple all the parts bags to. this will put them in order and make them easy to find and compleat the inventory as well.

congradulations.
    definely build the wing racks; ones that you can spin the wings on. look at tom waid's web site for the ones he built. i copied them and they work well. i was also going to epoxy my floor, but i got lazy and decided if i was going to do it right i would have to move way to much stuff out of my garage. instead i got a 12' x 18' piece of indoor/outdoor carpet, used double faced floor tape, and that became my primary work area. the carpet is good because you can put powder coated parts down without scratching them, lay down under the fuselage, and when you drop a nut it doesn't roll far.
    ken

Many folks might argue this but consider building the wings LAST. My kit happend to come with the wings mostly built, but in the 5.5 years I have been working on my plane, my wings sustained damage twice...just sitting there off to the side.
    FWIW
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I got the quick build wings but with your advice I will keep them on the other end of my shop.

Do you have the link to Tom Waid's website?

And also I never thought of carpet in a shop but it makes sense for the plane because until you install the engine there is no way you are going to get many greasy fluids on it. And even if you do, get a new carpet!

If anyone is interested, I have been fooling around with Schemes and this is what I've come up with. Not so sure about the Horz stab but its a loose plan.