Bruce,

With the help of a mirror, a bright light and long arms I was able to read the part number of the motor on my trim actuator and the date 11-23-99. The name "Motion" was on the gear box. I called Motion Systems and described the unit. He said it was their actuator unit P/N 85615. I described to him the trim circuit in the Kitfox and what my problem was (failure of the trim switch due to arching of contacts). He stated the current in-rush when the contacts first close can initally exceed several amps causing arching and eventually weld the contacts together. The normal current flow in the 85615 model is less than 1 amp and varies with load.

I told him I wanted to add a series resistor to slow down the motor and relays to actuate the motor in lieu of the switch. I gave him the following current readings based on my tests in my Bird.

UP = 0.58 amp w/o resistor
DWN = 0.36 amp w/o resistor
UP = 0.54 amp with 8 ohm resistor
DWN = 0.32 amp with 8 ohm resistor

He stated that they were typical readings depending on load and that realays are the way to go for that application. I also asked about actuator luberication and he said that they use a perminate luberication that does not requird any periodic maintance.

I also called VAN's about their Flap Control Circuit board referenced by Randyl. They had no circuit drawings available, but felt that it could be used in the Kitfox trim sustem. I ordered one and will test it out combined with the 8 0hm ballast resistor.

BTW, the two DPDT switches I mentioned earlier and the one I ordered from Spruce A/C are all smaller than the hole available in the Kitfox center console. If the new circuit design with relays and the resistor works out, I just may use the same type make switch I had before. I should't be a problem any more due to the use of the relays.

I have developed a new circuit diagram for the use of the relays and speed resistor, and if the VAN's circuit board works out I will modify it accordinally and send in a copy.

John