Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: floats, which ones

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default floats, which ones

Ok here's my problem. Which floats. My wife wants me to get the rating and put them on the fox. It's the model 4 1200 with 912uls medium IVO inflight adjust. I'm looking at the Zenier floats but see that the standard 1450 floats weigh 80lbs, the anphibs weigh 200. If I take off my landing gear I have the grove gear that should take off 40lbs. So If I stay with the standard floats I only gain about 40 lbs. that should make a decent float plane. But the convenience of having anphibs would make a world of difference for me.

I would like to know what you guys think of the performance of the standard floats vs. anphibs on the model 4, my wife will be going and flying with me. We want to take it up to our lake cabin on the weekends, save a bunch of driving time. Me and my wife weigh in at 340lbs combined. the plane right now weighs in at 540lbs

Default Re: floats, which ones

Hey Steve, Remember Daryl Jones, he had that Speedster that was painted like the flag of Texas on Zenair amphibs. I rode in that plane a couple of times off of the water and wasn't too impressed with the floats. The angle of the keel behind the step was too shallow so when he went to rotate the tail end of the floats would dig into the water and slow us back down. More speed would have helped but that plane would hit a wall where it would quit accelerating on the water. With a 912UL and at gross weight it took us about 30 seconds to struggle off of the water, way too long. Jerry Deitz out of Couer d' Alene had a IV on Aerocet amphibs with a 912S. It weighted 710 empty on the floats and performed very well. He did say the Aerocets were a bit underfloated though.
    Ty
    Kitfox IV-1200

Sorry to say Jerry is no longer with us, but there is a fella locally that baught the plane. I'm thinking to go with the standard floats, but than I have the problem of no landing on ground. I have thoughts of building a trailer to remove it at a boat launch, at felts to be exact. Well see, have to see what it takes to get in and out at the river at felts. Like mauring it there to be exact. I know what it takes, for the tower is in control sort of on that. thanks for the report on the amphibs, I kind of thought that.

one more question. How does the fox slip with floats on?

Ya I heard about Jerry. Straights are the way to go as far as performance and simplicity. Good choice!
    Ty
    Kitfox IV-1200

here is another question, how do they land on snow?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    Ok here's my problem. Which floats. My wife wants me to get the rating and put them on the fox. It's the model 4 1200 with 912uls medium IVO inflight adjust. I'm looking at the Zenier floats but see that the standard 1450 floats weigh 80lbs, the anphibs weigh 200. If I take off my landing gear I have the grove gear that should take off 40lbs. So If I stay with the standard floats I only gain about 40 lbs. that should make a decent float plane. But the convenience of having anphibs would make a world of difference for me.

I would like to know what you guys think of the performance of the standard floats vs. anphibs on the model 4, my wife will be going and flying with me. We want to take it up to our lake cabin on the weekends, save a bunch of driving time. Me and my wife weigh in at 340lbs combined. the plane right now weighs in at 540lbs
    Slyfox,

I fly a Model IV-1200 with an 80 hp 912ul and an IVO IFA Ultralight prop on Aerocet amphibs. It is an awesome performer, but is underfloated. But even with only 80 hp and being underfloated it will easily haul 400 lbs of people off the water with full fuel (large tanks). And mine is much heavier than yours, coming in empty on amphibs at 776 lbs (its a real pig with lots of options and gobs of heavy paint). But as I said, it still performs great.

The Zenair floats would be a good choice. But you probably don't have to go with the 1450's. I think the 1150's would work ok, as Zenair floats traditionally have more buoyancy than they rate them in their title (I believe the 1150's are more like 1250's for buoyancy). I've flown a Rans S7 on the Zenair 1150 amphibs, while it wasn't any too much floatation, it worked out just fine overall. And that Rans weighed right around 900 lbs empty on the floats, so it is over a hundred pounds heavier than a Kitfox IV would be. I gave a lot of rides in that 1150 Zenair amphib equipped Rans, including some really big guys. The bows sat a bit low when overloaded, but it still got on and off the water just fine.

The comment about the rear of the float not being able to rotate is only somewhat correct. Sure, it would be nice if the angle was more severe so as to allow a higher rotation angle, but with the 100 hp 912s and a light kitfox like yours, I'd be amazed if that would be any issue. I personally think you'd like the Zenair floats on your plane. Check out zenairs website for the video of a Kitfox on float to see how it does; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG6H3...ature=youtu.be

The question you had about amphib or straight float...go amphibs. It's a no brainer when you have a 100 hp Kitfox that is light and will conseuently have no issue hauling the extra weight of a set of amphib floats. And performance even on amphibs will still be exceptional, generally as good or better than most GA aircraft on straight floats. But if you want a real rocketship, put it on straight floats. A 100 hp 912 Model IV with an IVO IFA would rock on straight floats!

there is a complete set up on barnstormers Steve ,..that were on an Avid,..I should have got the link for you ,..but lost my connection before I remembered ..dang back woods dial up connection!

I recently acquired an 80 hp 912 powered Model III KF (w/ Mod. IV wings), on 1220 Full Lotus with retractable gear. I haven't weighed it, but according to the builder, it was 657 lbs. on conventional gear, and 849 lbs. as presently configured.

I'm curious about the weight differences. Are Model III's typically much heavier than IV's? You say that 776 lbs. is heavy. Mine does not seem to have much in the way of heavy options.

Right now it won't get 340 lbs. of people and 10 gals. of fuel even up on the step, at 1400' DA (which should be 96% power), without a stiff headwind.

I'm considering the IVO IFA 72" to replace the wooden GSC 68". Any thoughts on two blade vs. three blade?
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 09-28-2011 at 06:43 PM.

How many RPM are you turning on takeoff?? Just for comparison, on my 582 powered avid, with the prop set for cruise ( IVO IFA 72") I will only turn 48-5200 on take off on floats and it will not get on step. With the IFA I can flatten it out and turn 6500 and then feed in pitch to keep the RPM and EGT under control as I gain speed. If it is the old style amphib gear, I would not use them for much more than beaching.. The 1220 are a little small for the KF or Avid and the 1450 work MUCH better!