Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bungee Replacement

Default Re: Bungee Replacement

I don't know! If six wraps takes all the stretch out of the elastic then I could see severe strain / pressure on the cross member. Especially during a hard landing. There is nothing left to give.

I would take this up with Debra and John.

If five wraps is sufficient for the rated gross weight and you are constantly over gross then consideration should be for a larger / thicker bungee and not an extra wrap with the existing size.

Eric.

I am looking at post #10 with the picture of the bent cross member. I think I count six turns on the bungee and the damage looks pretty much like the damage on my friends model 3.

He and I were able to put six turns on his new bungees which he got at the factory. After that he had a hard landing and bent his cross member.

I am currently replacing bungees on my model 2 which has five turns. My new bungees from Kitfox may stretch to six turns. Debra says five or six turns for the model 2.

I'm thinking that six may be too many, that the suspension is too tight and that hard landing damage may not have been done by the safety cable.

I'm going to try it at five I think and if I don't rock and roll too much in the wind on the ground, leave it at that. I can easily spread my bungees making a tight turn but they return to position when I roll straight forward.

Whadyathink?

Smile Re: Bungee Replacement

I saw a u-tube demonstration of a bungee cord replacement that used a piece of wood as block and the whole operations seemed to go fast and no problems. Does anyone know the url of that sight?
    Chuck

This may be what you are looking for:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_kEZnXDgYM
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim thanks, that was the one I saw. Haven't tried it yet, but it sure looked efficient.-
    Chuck

I have an avid and bought the high wing bungees which are much shorter than the avid bungees.same thing six was to tight five was to loose. what I ended up doing solved the problem and gave kind of a dual rate suspension that works great. I wrapped it five like usual but alittle tighter then wrapped horizontaly around a couple times then hooked so I got five and a half wraps and the two wraps around the other stretch first ,this is probably a horrible explanation but I don't have any pictures of it right now