Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F-16s intercept plane during Obama's Chicago !!!!!!!!!

Default F-16s intercept plane during Obama's Chicago !!!!!!!!!

SOUTH BARRINGTON, Ill. (AP) — Two F-16 fighter jets intercepted a plane flown by a 75-year-old woman after it entered restricted airspace during President Barack Obama's recent visit to Chicago, federal officials said Thursday.
    The North American Aerospace Defense Command told The Daily Herald (http://bit.ly/nlePww) that the jets were summoned when air traffic controllers couldn't contact the pilot Wednesday afternoon. The president was in Chicago for a fundraiser celebrating his 50th birthday.
    The jets intercepted the Kitfox Model 2, a kit airplane, piloted by Myrtle Rose of South Barrington, a Chicago suburb. Rose turned the plane around and returned to Mill Rose Farm Airport, NORAD spokesman Lt. Michael Humphreys said.
    Rose's plane didn't have a radio, which forced NORAD to use the jets to identify and intercept the plane, Humphreys said.
    With such temporary flight restrictions, "there are no lines drawn in the air. It's sometimes a little hard to tell where you're at," NORAD spokeswoman Stacey Knott told the newspaper. "Typically, it's just a mistake."
    The pilot met with local authorities, Knott said. The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating. Rose didn't appear shaken after the incident, South Barrington Deputy Police Chief Ray Cordell said. "She was unaware that she had entered restricted air space," Cordell said. "Surprised was probably the right term." Calls to a listing for Rose in South Barrington rang unanswered Thursday. The town, home to about 4,500 residents, is about 30 miles northwest of Chicago.
    "We do not have fighter jets flying over the village very often," Cordell said.

Wow, good thing she wasn't flying a model 5 or something really scary !!!!
    Roger

Default Re: F-16s intercept plane during Obama's Chicago !!!!!!!!!

These F-16 has no chance vs Rosy's Kitfox in a dog fight.

But she certainly has a big surpise!!!

It a good thing that she was not too shaken

Eric

So what is the stall speed of an F-16? Got to be more than 70mph right?
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

I'll admit, I was wondering the same thing... How does a fighter jet that more than likely has a stall speed higher than the top speed of a Kitfox... Intercept such a low and slow airframe?

There are so many things I'd like to say in this thread, but they'd all get me banned...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I'm sure we are all thinking that at this point. Try going back to 9/11. All the planes envolved were great big commercial planes. Kind of interesting that when the presedent goes into Chicago or Hawaii that the commercial flights still are flying. Hummmmm..... But the rest of the world shuts down.

Another thing here, I'm sure they calculated a very slow speed. Why dispatch f16's, can't they put something up there like a cessna or helicopter. Why the scare the CXXX out of someone, not to mention the cost.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 08-05-2011 at 09:58 AM.

F16 pilot: station we have a flying rag here, unable to lock on, please advise.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 08-05-2011 at 09:58 AM.

How dose a AIM9 sidewinder work
    Eric

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr6vU...eature=related

This was a problem here in Texas when Bush would go to his Ranch in Crawford. The TFR was rather large and was a real aviation show stopper. My friend, who is a CFI, has a private strip that would be in the TFR (Terrorist Flight Rule as he called it) so he could not do any training on the days that Bush was at his ranch. If he wanted to fly, he basically had to file a flight plan and could only fly direct. No practicing touch and goes, stalls or spur of the moment flyins at a friend's strip, etc. It was a real pain and and he lost business because of it. I support protecting the president no matter who it is, so I can see a no fly zone right around or over where the president is, but some of these TFRs are ridiculous.

Ironically, since TFR regs also ban model aircraft, it's just as illegal to fly a paper airplane in the "safe" zone....