Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: First Flight

Well, after an 8 month rebuild, the day finally came. N1995L a Model 4-912 lifted off and flew perfectly! This is my second Kitfox so my expectations were already high, however nothing could have prepared me! My first Fox was a Model 1 with a 582, N37EM. The Model 1 was no slouch, I would often be working the pattern with a 172 or 150 and after a couple circuits they would say something like, "what have you got in that Kitfox" or "how many horsepower does that thing have, it climbs like crazy'.
    The Model 4 is an animal! I don't believe in high speed taxies, so I just put the power to it and went. Before takeoff I set my static to 5400 (Ivo IFA) and taxied out to the end of the runway. I applied full power and as soon as the tail came up, I was off. I glanced at the gauges, oil presure temps, rpm, check check check, airspeed--- 80, wow, nose up, vsi 1200! power back and nose down a little because I was climbing at a very steep angle and a quick shake of the stick, wow, this thing handles like a fighter, sharp, crisp and fast! I leveled off at 2K and circled the airport a couple times playing with the electric trim. For anyone considering electric trim, do it, it is so nice! After flying around for a spell I started playing with the prop. All I can say is I will have to be carefull not to exceed my 120mph VNE. I can easilly cruise around at 115mph at around 5000 rpm.
    I have only made a couple flight so far but I am extremly happy. This is my first 912 and I am very happy with it. It is very smooth and has tons of power to spare. I haven't even used all the power yet as I haven't gone above 5400rpm. I also am very impressed with the IVO IFA. It gives excellent climb and cruise. I am wondering what most people use for a cruise RPM? I am going to go enjoy a nice cold beverage now and am looking forward to exploring all the fun this awesome plane has to offer!

HPIM5158.jpgHere are a couple Pics!

Another pic HPIM5161.jpg

Default Re: First Flight

Congrats. Cain. It's love at first flight, again. Have fun.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Way cool!!! can't wait to fly up and check it out. Are you going to have the hours flown off before OSH?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I have two speeds, wide open and 5200rpm. the other when I want to play is throttle way off and 5200rpm. I like to play at 84kts all day long. I like to fly back home at 103kts. You can't hurt this engine flying full throttle, just put it at 5200rpm and you're good. Put vg's on her and it will quickly turn into a fixed wing helicopter. Oh take off and keep 5200rpm and keep your vsi at or around 600fpm and pick off some cessna flyers. you will pass em right up. I'm usually off the ground in about 100feet. Got to love these birds.