Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Building tips and hints

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Contaminated Syringes

So today I was running some epoxy primer through the insides of my drag/anti-drag tubes using the same animal syringes that I use for Hysol application. I took the syringe from its unopened package and squirted primer into one end of the tube and caught the runoff in a cup at the other end. I immediately noticed that the primer wasn't wetting out the surface very well but didn't think much of it. When I was done with the tubes I filled my paint gun with the runoff so that I could put a coat of primer on the brackets that attach the tubes to the spars. As soon as I began spraying I got the worst case of fisheyes I'd ever seen. My first thought was water in my compressor as I had been running the drill most of the morning. I drained the tank and still no joy. Well, I finally came to my senses and realized that the syringe had some sort of lube in it and that this had contaminated the whole enterprise. I cleaned things up, mixed another batch of primer and this time everything worked just fine. Bottom line is that those syringes need to be CLEANED before using, especially for something as critical as the glue that holds the wings together .
    Last edited by szicree; 04-29-2012 at 07:04 PM.