Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Confusion about rudder and cowling???

Default Confusion about rudder and cowling???

Hi guys,

I'm a bit confused about the rudder shape on the latest Kitfox model SS. I saw some of them rounded on the upper end and some with a square shape. Which one is modified and which one should I expect receive when ordering a new kit?

Also, I saw on the catalog part that there are two smooth cowl available. A two pieces and a four pieces. Which one is the most common when ordering a new kit? Could someone post some pictures of the cowling parts when you receive it from the factory?

Thank you very much, and every day is a step closer from ordering a new kit...

Pat

Default Re: Confusion about rudder and cowling???

The latest version of the SS has a squared upper corner on the rudder and the smooth cowl is in 3 pieces. The boot cowl extends from the firewall to the windshield/doors. Forward of the firewall is a two piece cowl with upper and lower parts.

Our SS came with the 4 piece cowl kit. If you look at the Cleco clamps you can see 3 of the 4 pieces of the 4 piece cowl

1. Root cowl (ends at the firewall)
    2. Lower cowl
    3. Upper cowl

The fourth piece is a scoop for the radiator that is glued inside the lower cowl.
    Last edited by enyaw; 04-04-2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: 8 thumbs and inability to engage brain,

Actually it's more accurate to think of it as a four piece cowl since the air scoop is delivered as a separate component that is bonded to the lower cowl by the kit builder.