Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabin Heat help Model V.

Default Cabin Heat help Model V.

I am ready to install the cabin heat box on my model V. I would appreciate any help to locate this in a good place to provide the best heat possible. Pics of the install would be great.

Default Re: Cabin Heat help Model V.

here is some pic... pipe is for some defrost..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dj Series 6

Darryl,

You came to approximately the solution I did for the defroster - I had some cat tubing laying around and twisted it around the bottom of the heater core to direct some heat up on the windshield - it did the job - keeps the windshield clear now.

I think one of the big deals in keeping the cabin warm is to close up as many pneumonia holes in the cabin as you can - I took some measures to seal up the front of the floor where the firewall tucks under - also fabricated some plates with felt gaskets around the turtledeck slots for the flaperon horn holes .I can fly comfortably down to 10 below zero and I can't think of any reason I'd care to be out if it were colder than that.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    ST Paul, Minnesnowta

does those fans can be run in revers? in invert the polarity of the courrent. if it dose, would it be too hot for the fan to suck the air true the radiator.

Thanks DJ, very nice idea.

Eric,

On your question regarding reversing the fans by reversing the polarity - since they are DC motors - should work but I don't see any reason to do that since blowing the air down through the core best serves to the purpose of getting the heat on the pilot and passenger rather than heating up the back of the instrument panel - since the fans are summetrical - it is easy enough to flip them over to blow up or down - but again, I don't see any reason to blow the air upward.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Hello. My kit fox 3 with 912 ul has 1 in water hose coming coolant pump the the radiator. I have the heater core and fan just cant find a TEE goes from 1 inch to 5/8 for the heater core lines. Any sugestons? Is one inch the correct diameter line from pump to the radiator on a 912. Does the heater core style set up produce alot of heat? Is it worth the time?

Thanks chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Eric,

- it is easy enough to flip them over to blow up or down - but again, I don't see any reason to blow the air upward.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    Salut Dave, when I saw the thread of Hansedj on the photo We can see a plumbing fitting (s-trap) for defrost the windshield, it could be more efficient to intall a invert metal funnel 8'' to 4'' on the top of one of the two fans, coupling the funnel to a 4'' flexible alumimium duct that will be conect to a 3''PVC pipe (previously heated form, to adapt to the rounded top fire wall) then the pipe can be drill with 3/8 holes to defrost the windshield.

the fan will be connect to a inverse switch(off/on/inv) fan suck to defrost,fan push to heat.

I have to think to a good system to defrost, because In Quebec it is not cold in winter, it is colder then cold.

Quote Originally Posted by foxkit3 View Post
    Hello. My kit fox 3 with 912 ul has 1 in water hose coming coolant pump the the radiator. I have the heater core and fan just cant find a TEE goes from 1 inch to 5/8 for the heater core lines. Any sugestons? Is one inch the correct diameter line from pump to the radiator on a 912. Does the heater core style set up produce alot of heat? Is it worth the time?

Thanks chris

I was just looking in the Leading Edge Airfoils catalog today and saw the brass fitting you are looking for in the section where they have radiators and such for Rotax. It is part # R5314, but brace yourself, they want $35.00 for it. I right away started thinking about copper plumbing fittings and what would work for less. Any way, if you don't have a LEAF catalog, go to
    www.onlinecatalog.leadingedgeairfoils.com and I think you should be able to find the part. I didn't look at McMaster Carr, maybe they have the fitting for less... Take care, Jim Chuk

Sorry that I messed up the link in the last post for the online catalog.
    Try this instead. onlinecatalog.leadingedgeairfoils.com Hopefully I got it right this time. I added the www at the begining, but I guess I shouldn't have. Take care, Jim Chuk