Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: third seat?

Default third seat?

Has anyone configured their SS/S7 with enough seating for two adults and one child? I'm thinking either bench seating with the appropriate belts/harnesses or a small jump seat in the storage area as the "third seat" (or other)? Just curious. I've got a young child and it would be awesome for the whole family to be able to fly together.

Blue skies!
    -Tony

Default Re: third seat?

Hi Tony,

Your post brought a smile to my face. I asked the factory the same question when starting my first Model IV. They said no, but they were the factory - lawyers and all. But the smile was because by the time I finished and flew - five years, my son was no longer the toddler, but a full sized eight year old. Your SS is bigger with more room, but when doing the design, don't measure him (or her) now, but try to project the finished size when you will be flying.

Lowell

Kids are always that ingredient that dashes hope for the utility of a 2-seater, aren't they? I have thought about the same thing, but you have to ask if you really want to stuff your child back there in that space, with possible egress issues. What kind of safety harness would be effective back there?

Unfortunately (for our wallets) the only real answer is a 4-seat aircraft. Or a "3-seater" like the Murphy Rebel.

Hey Guys;
    Just need to point out that if you add a third seat, even for 1 second, you can never fly the plane as a light sport ever ever ever again (at least that's how the FAA tells it). Once the plane is operated or otherwise falls outside of LSA regulation, it can never go back to being a light sport flyable plane.
    Ya I know it's a crazy interpretation, but not so crazy too the FAA.
    Roger

Thanks guys. I'm not concerned with the light sport applicability, but thank you for the heads up. I'll also admit that to date I've unfortunately been limited to viewing the SS through videos/photos as the closest to me is more than six hour one-way drive away. I don't have a good feel for the width of the cabin or the space available in the storage compartment.

That said, I'm really hoping Oshkosh '11 will solve that problem for me!!!

Blue skies-
    Tony