Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you remember?

Default Re: Do you remember?

The poly fiber system uses poly brush to fill the weave and build up the surface with poly spray to block out all light. The Stewart System uses what they call ekofill. It is used both to fill the weave and block UV light. It's basically just a filler, build up, and UV block all in one. It doesn't block out all light, just UV. Both systems are comparable in life expectancy.

With the Stewart System you use the glue to apply fabric tapes, patches, etc. Then you use ekofill to coat the entire surface. First cross coat is foam brush applied to force it into the fabric with three more cross coats sprayed. Light sanding in between with open coarse sand paper. Final finish paint color coat then goes on directly over ekofill. It can be sprayed or even foam roller applied with decently smooth results. Pretty simple and very low on the volatile vapors for all the steps/chemicals. The glue has a rubber cement feel to it when it dries and their site says the fabric tore before the glue could fail under a shear load. The ekofill appears to be just graphite dust or some particle similar to that suspended in water. Color coat paint is a polyurethane.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 03-28-2011 at 05:08 AM.

Wath I mean by the two side fo the fuslage, is inside & outside because the sunlight can get in side of the fuslage but not in side fo the wings

It's not typical that you would spray inside the fuse. If it is done it's usually for cosmetic reasons, but only on fully exposed areas. Most Kitfoxes cover up the area behind the seat with the cargo bag/cover and by your feet upholstery panels can be used which keeps the sun out. More spraying means more weight too. Atleast with the cargo cover it's useful weight.

And wath about the $ is this two systems are similar on price side?

what do you think about this statement?

A KitFox needs to be as light as possible. Our finishing process is
    the lightest available with the best UV protection and I would
    personally choose the Superflight medium 102 fabric and use the light
    weight 103 ceconite finishing tapes if it was my airplane.
    I fly a
    Supercub and use it heavily off airport operating in remote and un
    improved area dragging the wings and tail through tree branches and
    small willows. I would cover it with the same materials as I
    recommended for your Kitfox.

For covering chemicals here is what I used for the Stewart system. Can't speak for Poly Fiber quantities. Prices in US, sorry...

1 gallon of glue - $167 - I have about 1/2 quart left and would have more if I hadn't covered the wings twice.
    About 2 gallons of ekofill - $300 - for complete UV protection
    About 2 gallons of paint(total colors added together) will be needed - $575.

Total - about $1050

Tape, fabric, primer for metal/fiberglass parts, cleaner, and general materials cost will be the same for both systems. I used medium fabric and would highly recommend it. About 35 Yards for a model 4. Light will work, but it was worth the piece of mind to use medium. I just used the generic Dacron. Heavy is WAY overkill.

As far as that statement - I would pretty much agree. Use medium fabric and light tapes. More than adequate for a Kitfox.

Thanks Geowitz for your info, but you really love doing fabric to do a wing twice.

I take a look a your album of construction, you did a grate job on that plane. let me see other photo went you have more.

for the paint vinil or ployuretane is the ''niceest'' ?? on look and durability
    Last edited by chefwarthog; 03-23-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Sorry, can't speak for the finish quality between the different systems. I would guess that has more to do with preperation work and the skill of the painter. I'm under the imspresion that durability is comparable in all of the sytems as they all seem to have about the same lifespan. The limiting factor seems to be more the age/exposure of the fabric as all the systems use the same fabric.

Thanks for your advise, with your statement in support I think I will go with the Stewart system. because my garage will be bild next to my house with a door for direct access, so with the strong smell I don't have any choice.

For the paint I will investigate a little more before to setup my choice.

But I got another question for you guys, dose the dark color influence the stiffness of the fabic in summer. dose the dark color will shade off faster then light color?

With a little entertaining, to motivate the replys

A dead stick takeoff from a 1500' cliff, a two miles glide and a landing on a sand bench along a river. Steve Henry

http://www.youtube.com/user/taildrgf.../2/jeQP-H_31JQ