Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: rod ends / bearings

Default rod ends / bearings

I need to change my rod ends / bearings on my kitfox vixen series 5 :

part # from kitfox are

Do you know AN, Heim, Aurora or others?

Default Re: rod ends / bearings

jacques- are you looking to order rod bearing ends? If so please email or call Kitfox Aircraft. This forum is not part of their business and they will not see your question here.

Click here for Kitfox Aircraft's contact info:
    http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/contact.htm

Best wishes.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I have already ordered these parts to John, but as they are not arrived to my home here in France and partd here are metric and not same numbers.

Nevermind, I will see when they will be here.

Thanks all.

DF, he was asking if anyone knew what the AN part number may be so he could order them from a different source such as AC spruce etc. These are standard off the shelf parts and not something that KF had made special for their planes. If you knew what the thread size was, it would be easy to find the rod ends.

Exactly!

I have canceled the order to John due to the delay and I would like to order them to AC spruce Europe for shorter delay and custom taxes!

Jacques,

I read your original post and since I didn't have a Series V and couldn't help with the part numbers, I felt I couldn't help. As I look at my Model IV there are about ten rod ends (spherical bearings) on the fuselage and another six or eight in the control linkages, so didn't know which ones you needed. My suggestion is that you log onto: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php
    and search for what you need in bolt and thread size. This will give the industry part number and you can most likely find them locally.

Lowell

Lowell,

I just need rod end for the wing lift struts and for stabilizer brace.

I have already search with Spruce but I undestand the metric system but the AN system with inches is difficult for me.

For the wing lift struts, the female rod ends with an AN 4 -13A bolt on top and an AN 316-5 check nut.

For stabilizer brace, it is also a female rod end with an AN3-25A bolt on top and an AN616-4 check nut.

The only point I am not sure with Spruce is the width of the head of the rod end.

The AN system is pretty easy. For the most part it is based on multiples of 1/16 inch.
    An AN3 bolt is 3/16 inch diameter. AN4 is 4/16 or 1/4 inch diameter
    The dash number is the length. a -13A bolt is 13/16 inches long for the shank and threads. The letter A indicates the drilled hole is "Absent".

With the information you supplied, the lift strut rod end has a 1/4 inch bore and a 5/16-24 threads. Note: Kitfox changed the lift strut rod ends on later models to 1/4 inch bore and 3/8-24 threads.

Your smaller rod ends have a 3/16 bore and 1/4-28 threads.

With that information, you should be able to order the parts you need from your local aviation supplier.

Good luck.

John Pitkin

John,

I know all I need with your help now!

Thanks very much!

I don't mean to confuse anyone but there is much more information than bolt and thread sizes needed to get the correct rod ends. Example here
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...orabearfem.php
    Last edited by t j; 03-25-2011 at 08:54 AM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder