Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Prop Pitch

Default Prop Pitch

Just wondering what you guys with the 582 Rotax have your pitch set at. I have a 68" 3 blade GSC prop and the rpms on take off and climb were low so we finally figure out that our prop pitch was too thick at 21 degrees. I looked on the gsc site and they were recommendeing 10.5 degrees. We set it up at 18 degees but its been too windy this last week for any flying up here.I still would like a cruise speed of 75 mph. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks Willis

Default Re: Prop Pitch

Hi Willis, when I had the 582 installed with a 66" 3 blade GCS prop it was pitched at 12.5 degrees measured with the GSC prop protractor. This gave very good takeoff and climb nothing to brag about for cruise. My experience is that 14 degrees was too much for any kind of takeoff and climb preformance, you'll need about 6400 rpms for good TO and climb (this is rolling rpms). Good luck.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

Thanks MtnFlyer,I will keep adjusting it to get to the 6400 rpm range.

Talking Re: Prop Pitch

Hi marshawk
    Art here I have a G.W.S prop and had one for a long time when we set the prop on them we found the needle system very difficult to get all the blades set the same caused vibration and poor performance so we came up with the idea of using a laser crazy glued to the protractor and shine it on the wall with a target and you can get every blade perfect(10ft or so) that way you can go from were you are and just take out 2-4 degrees at a time until you hit your happy number. Hope this helps ART.

Thanks Art ,I think we pretty much have it set up,that sounds like a very accurate way of setting up the prop, we have been lucky with the protractor gauge that came with the prop and not getting any vibrations. Thanks again for the reply