Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wind

Default Wind

What are your personal limits for the amount of wind (surface) you will intentionally take off and land in?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: Wind

We landed and took off into 20-25 gusts during our trip to Sun 'n Fun last year. It was mid trip, in central Illinois, so we had little choice. I wasn't about to stay in Bears' country...

My IV-1050 handled it quite well. The wind was mostly down the runway, so there was little danger in the maneuver (other than the taxiing ).
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The practical limit of surface wind for many aircraft is about 50% to 60% of stall speed for headwind. This is a guide only and not an absolute. Obviously a Kitfox with a stall of 40 knots can handle more headwind than 25 knots for landing. The problem comes when you turn off the runway. You may not be able to steer at 90 degrees to a strong wind.

One very windy day I watched in awe as a pilot landed and worked his way down the taxiway. He angled his path from the downwind side of the taxiway about 45 degrees to the upwind side. Then he pointed directly into the wind, idled the engine, and let the wind blow the aircraft backwards to the down wind side. Zig-zagging down the taxiway he made it safely to the parking area. I asked him where he learned the technique and he replied, “Seaplanes, sailing and docking.” I’ve never seen anything like it.

Cross wind maximum velocity is usually determined by the amount of rudder authority and wing tip clearance. To increase rudder authority use the minimum flap setting necessary. The faster approach speed and less blanking of the rudder can help keep the nose pointed straight until the wheels are firmly on the ground. Wingtip clearance is rarely a problem with high wing aircraft.

Most certified aircraft do not have a maximum crosswind in limitations and list only a demonstrated crosswind. That means it was the most wind the test pilot could find on that day. It may be an absolute limit and maybe not. If you attempt landing with more than demonstrated, you’re in test pilot territory. In an experimental aircraft you are always a test pilot. My estimate is 20 knots direct crosswind is about the maximum for a Kitfox unless you have extraordinary skill.

It’s a good idea to practice crosswind landings at your local airport where all other conditions are known. You don’t want to be doing your first high crosswind landing at an unfamiliar airport.

One thing to watch for is wind blanking from buildings or hangars on the side of the runway. Even a seemingly benign 10 knots direct crosswind can be a hand full as you fly beside a large hangar and the wind suddenly drops to zero.

One of the reasons I chose a Kitfox is to get back to basics with stick and rudder. If you haven’t seen the TV series “Flying Wild Alaska” it’s worth your time to see some really wild and windy conditions.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX
    Last edited by jtpitkin06; 03-12-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    One thing to watch for is wind blanking from buildings or hangars on the side of the runway. Even a seemingly benign 10 knots direct crosswind can be a hand full as you fly beside a large hangar and the wind suddenly drops to zero.

Or once you get below the tree line on that narrow strip in the woods...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

A lot depends on your ability level, but overall I feel it will handle almost anything that a Cessna 180 or 182 can handle. With the ailerons below the wing where they are in the airflow I feel big winds are pretty managable while taxiing. I once had to make multiple take offs with a 22kt quartering tailwind and it was amazing how well the airplane did.
    Kelly

For me, anything more than 20 knots or so gets pretty uncomfortable. The KF can handle it fine but you definitely feel every gust. I landed once at Seaside,OR in a 25knot gusty crosswind and it was "exciting". I almost had to get out and turn the plane by hand because of the weathervane effect. Seemed like it took 5 minutes to get to the runway once on final....

i've done 25 to 30 with even a cross. Now the more cross it is the more angled I am going across the runway. I remember one time landing with winds 18 to 25 gust, what a ride. I was out doing touch and go's , in fact that was last year. I had people ouside watching me. I was having a ball. I even did stop and go's. I was stopped real quick, no ground run at all. Now taxi time, I find that running the r's up to about 2500+ works and using the brakes work real good(you end up creaping, and it's hard on the brakes), of course your literally flying the airplane back to the hangar.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I agree with every post. For me, the maximum depends on where I am and were I am going. For local therapy flights, I like it pretty calm below 10. If I am on a trip somewhere or intent on serious work, I will push it a bit. Personal experience has shown that these airplanes are quite capable in winds. I have mentioned this before, but a flight of six once landed at Jackpot, Nevada in a direct cross wind well exceeding 20 mph. Taxiing was fine as it happened to be directly into the wind, but exiting the airplanes - I needed help for that as I didn't have parking brakes. We stopped for gas, but ended up staying the night.

I have attached a panel shot of the GPS ground speed on one trip to Idaho. This was from my 80 hp Model IV.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HighWing; 03-13-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Picture not attached

Well this all seems consistent with what I have found. Under 10 is just fun flying, up to 15 is not a big deal unless gusting, 16-20 I will do up to +- 45 deg steady headwind and look for a decreasing forecast, >20 I scrub the flight.
    So far I have landed in a 14 knot cross wind and a 24 knot 10 deg off the nose headwind.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

well ok,... ah ... when it gets over10 .... oh ah I take the RV
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360