Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Convert to 6" wheels for more tire options?

Default Convert to 6" wheels for more tire options?

Not a lot of 8" tire options for these 8" wheels us Model 3 guys mostly have. How many have switched to 6", and what's the cheapest way to do it so we can mount larger tires like the 26' Alaska tires?

Can I still somehow use my Matco brake calipers and discs in the conversion? (all new Grove or Cleveland isn't justifyable for me).

Thanks,
    ~Wild

Default Re: Convert to 6" wheels for more tire options?

Kitfox LLC has a retrofit kit for 6 inch wheels. $237 each.

Failing that you can call Matco with your current wheel and brake part numbers, axle size, intenal or external caliper, etc.

Tell them what you are trying to do and they can probably fix you up.

Matco
    2361 South 1560 West
    Woods Cross, UT 84087 USA
    (801) 335-0582
    (801) 335-0581 Fax

You don't say what your skill level is or what is in your budget so we don't know what qualifies as "cheapest way". If you want a simple bolt on conversion, it costs more. If you buy salvage parts from an aircraft bone yard and have access to a mill, lathe and drill press, it can be a lot less.

JP
    Last edited by jtpitkin06; 03-05-2011 at 08:10 AM.

I have a set of 6" matco wheels and brakes with 8.00x6 tires on them. Everything is in very good condition, like what you have.

I would be willing to trade. I really like the 8" wheels.

I tried the 26" goodyears on my airplane and did not like them. They were so heavy that the spin up force would make the airplane tippy on touchdown. I hear the 26" Air Streaks are not that way, but I could never justify the expense.

Even though I would not do it I might be able to help.
    Kelly

JP: The Matco W62 conersion kit would fit the bill. Upgrading brakes
    isn't a bad idea either. Have you made this conversion yourself? If so
    how did it turn out?

Kelly: probably would keep my 8" tires/wheels, but WHY do you say
    you'd prefer the 8" wheels anyway?

One of the big plus items on a Kitfox is the cost of owning and operating. The tires for the 8" wheels are almost give-away prices. The cost of aircraft tires are silly.

I am coming over to Seattle on Monday; I could have them in my hand if you were interested. I was thinking of an even trade and we could meet somewhere north of Portland.

Speaking of inexpensive operating I had also thought of replacing that 582 with the Geo conversion. Those engines are cheap, burn no fuel, and I had found an E-box for a low price. I think that would be fun. I am a fan of 4-stroke, but I thought the 912 was too expensive and too much power. (IMO)

There is a site for the
    Geo conversions,..and a site for purchasing a geo motor all set up for aircraft,..google geo aircraft conversions and I'm sure you'll find it.
    a couple people have put the 1.0 geo on kitfox's but they used the belt reduction instead of a gear reduction,..gear reductions general reverse the rotation of the engine at the prop,..so a clockwise spinning crank will have a counter clockwise spinning prop.

Chase

Hey don't forget about the VW !!! Great Plains VW has a complete FIREWALL forward kit for the model 3 & 4. Gives you 65-80 HP to work with, depending on size and options. Light weight aluminum cylinders are now available, dropping the engine weight about 10 lbs. Engine can be rebuilt for only about $500 in parts (vs $8000 for the 912).

Hope this helps

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    Kitfox LLC has a retrofit kit for 6 inch wheels. $237 each.

JP
    Do you know what is included in the upgrade kit ?
    Is it this one :

http://www.matcomfg.com/W626inch075TRB-idv-2389-4.html

Can i adapt it directly to my Kitfox 2, with original ATV wheels ? same axle diameter ?
    Last edited by GDN; 03-12-2011 at 08:06 AM.

Why not call Kitfox or Matco and get the straight answer from the experts?

They can tell you exactly what is in the kit and what you need to convert from your ATV wheels. That way no one needs to guess.

JP

Sure, that's what i did, i can convert to a spring gear too they make a special one from Grove 10 weeks to wait i'm studying the balance between the cost and the improvement