Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible?

Lightbulb Is it possible?

Like I said in other thead, I have to bild my garage(23'X35' with cathedral rafter) before to order my kit.

I have to order my trusts with +1000lb reinforce structure. Just to recover my garage floor and store my finish plane in same time. So.....

1- Is it possible to hang the Kitfox from the ceiling with an electric hoist?

2- Where should be the strongest point of the airframe to put the anchors(2 infront 1 rear)?

3- Where is the center of gravity of the plane when nobody is in side and the wings are fold?

I hope my english is comprehensible....

Thanks for your help.
    Eric
    Last edited by chefwarthog; 02-26-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Default Re: Is it possible?

If I were going to suspend the plane from the rafters after it was completed, I would build a "cradle" that I could roll the plane onto so that the plane sat on it's wheels, then hoist the cradle up after I secured the wheels of the plane to the cradle

Chase

I would think you would have no problem if you attached on both sides of the front wing carry through. Then a third attachment on the tail at the front of the horizontal stabilizer. Take care,
    Jim Chuk
    Avid MK IV (flying)
    Kitfox 4 (building)
    norhern Mn

Where is the center of gravity of the plane when nobody is in side and the wings are fold?
    My classic 4 in level attitude has 515 pounds total on the main wheels and 35 pounds on the tail wheel. In 3 point attitude with wings folded, 375 pounds total on the main wheels and 175 pounds on the tail wheel. Arms are +2.5 inches to the mains and 158.5 inches to the tail wheel in the level attitude.

Not sure where that puts the CG exactly. A rough estimate is about 52 inches. It gives you a rough idea of how the weight moves back with wings folded.

Looks like the rear spar carry through tube would be supporting the bulk of the weight.

Fuel in the tanks will increase these weights.

If I was going to suspend it I would replace the wing attach bolts and pins with eye bolts. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/eyebolts.php

The though tube at the front base of the vertical fin might work for the rear attachment but I would want someone with more engineering knowledge than myself to check that first.
    Last edited by t j; 02-27-2011 at 09:01 AM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Last time I was in Murle Williams shop he had 3 Kitfox's hanging from the steel rafters. All on electric hoists.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

chefwarthog asked:
    I have to order my trusts with +1000lb reinforce structure. Just to recover my garage floor and store my finish plane in same time. So.....
    Desert Fox 4 said:
    Last time I was in Murle Williams shop he had 3 Kitfox's hanging from the steel rafters. All on electric hoists.
    Now you have me interested!

Wart, be sure to tell the truss engineers you want to suspend an airplane from their truss design.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I had thought that insert piece of tubing inside of the front wing carry through could tear up or bend the structure because of all the weith, you think those attache point will hold up? but it will easyer to tie from those point, that build a skid, not that the cradle is not a good gist, but I try to keep it simple.

Thanks Jim, Chase.

In 3 point attitude with wings folded, 375 pounds total on the main wheels and 175 pounds on the tail wheel. Arms are +2.5 inches to the mains and 158.5 inches to the tail wheel in the level attitude.

So if I follow you, total weight is distribute 2/3 in front 1/3 rear.

Do you think that this affirmation still exact for the SS and will the those attache point will hold up?

Hi Eric,
    I sent you an e-mail to tell you that I live in Sherbrooke, Quebec and wanted to communicate with you in french by phone. Did you receive it?
    Thanks

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post

You think is it possible to get pictures?