Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is it possible?

Default Re: Is it possible?

When I first got into flying about 11 years ago, I bought a Quicksilver MX which has a 32' wingspan. Next I went to build a hanger for the MX. Being kind of cheap and not thinking ahead well enough, I built a building that measured 30'X38' and put a 22' door on one end. My thought was just build a cart to put the MX on and run it in sideways. Well things moved forward and even though I eventually built another hangar with a 40' wide opening (still haven't built the door) I usually still put the Avid in the first building. It has concrete floor, electricity, and all the tools, unlike the new one with is just walls and roof. I've built several different carts to run the plane in and this is the latest design. What does this long story have to do with hanging your plane from the ceiling? If you look at my cart, take off the wheels, ramps, and winch, you would have a nice framework that the plane could sit on and be hoisted up to the ceiling with 3 cables attached to the framework. When you build the trailer, make it so you can lower the framework into some sockets where you just put a pin or bolt through each socket to keep the framework and plane on the trailer. Plane would be tied to the framework. When you get to the field to fly, untie the plane and roll it off the trailer, framework stays in place. Later roll plane back onto trailer/framework and tie it down to the framework again. When you get back home and in the garage in the right spot, hook the cables to the framework, pull the pins at the sockets and hoist the plane up out of the way. My cart is built with two 1 1/2" pipes that are under the plane's main wheels, and two 1" pipes that go back to the tailwheel. I was going to post this this morning, but didn't have any good pictures of my cart. I took these this afternoon when I was going flying. Take care,
    Jim Chuk
    Avid MK IV (flying)
    Kitfox 4 (building)
    northern Mn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Eric. As for the rafters supporting a load. The total weight of your Kitfox is not much of an issue provided you 'spread the load out'. I placed an 8ft. 4x4 across my joist. At the first joists from the hang point, the 4x4 is flat on the joist. At the next joist out from the hang point, I place a shim under the 4x4. Thicker shim under the next 4x4. This way, when the load deflects the 4x4, the next one picks up some of the weight. So you have several joist carrying the weight instead of one. Joist are made with metal or plywood at intersecting joints. One by itself is not enough to support any load. As we are seeing in our cities across the U.S.A.-"in unity there is strength". -Tom

I've built several different carts to run the plane in and this is the latest design. What does this long story have to do with hanging your plane from the ceiling? If you look at my cart, take off the wheels, ramps, and winch, you would have a nice framework that the plane could sit on and be hoisted up to the ceiling with 3 cables attached to the framework. When you build the trailer, make it so you can lower the framework into some sockets where you just put a pin or bolt through each socket to keep the framework and plane on the trailer. Plane would be tied to the framework. When you get to the field to fly, untie the plane and roll it off the trailer, framework stays in place. Later roll plane back onto trailer/framework and tie it down to the framework again. When you get back home and in the garage in the right spot, hook the cables to the framework, pull the pins at the sockets and hoist the plane up out of the way

You impress me at the higtest point, doing skateboarding with your plane. hahaha

Thanks for takeing the time, to take those pictures for me,

My friend, I think you surround the answer, that I will do! (like said Yoda)

I got some interrogation.

1- I think will have to rise the tail wheel on the framework 4@6 inch to get the top of plane level in that right(for SS with 1550 landing gear)

2- Is 9ft will do to take out the plane on trailer by the garage door?

thanks for you concern guys
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Lion8 View Post
    Hi Eric. As for the rafters supporting a load. The total weight of your Kitfox is not much of an issue provided you 'spread the load out'. I placed an 8ft. 4x4 across my joist. At the first joists from the hang point, the 4x4 is flat on the joist. At the next joist out from the hang point, I place a shim under the 4x4. Thicker shim under the next 4x4. This way, when the load deflects the 4x4, the next one picks up some of the weight. So you have several joist carrying the weight instead of one. Joist are made with metal or plywood at intersecting joints. One by itself is not enough to support any load. As we are seeing in our cities across the U.S.A.-"in unity there is strength". -Tom
    thanks for those explications, me and chase get though those conserns in past few reply.

I got some interrogation.

1- I think will have to rise the tail wheel on the framework 4@6 inch to get the top of plane level in that right(for SS with 1550 landing gear)

2- Is 9ft will do to take out the plane on trailer by the garage door?

I went and measured the tail of my Kitfox 4, and it was 67" (5' 7")from the floor to the top of the verticle stabilizer. If your's is going to be the same hight, it should be easy to fit under a 9' door if you don't make the trailer to high. Take care, Jim Chuk

it should be easy to fit under a 9' door if you don't make the trailer to high. Take care, Jim Chuk[/quote]

It is a good news, I did not want a to large garage door in front of my garage how will be bild right next at my house, It will disguise if door is to big.....you can look for your self. this is my house

Thanks again for info and photo

it will look good when your done chefwarthog,..I'm doing basically the same thing on the left of my house ,..a 28' wide by 36' deep with full basement, 4 car garage,.and it will also have rooms upstairs..with a gambrel roof like what is on the house,

Chase

Is there some one, that can email me those drawing, but with wings fold. If they exist naturally, my architect will fit dose drawing at scale on my garage bleuprint, just to be sure that every thing look ok.

Thanks, Eric
    Attached Files Attached Files