Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible?

Default Re: Is it possible?

if you are going to swing the wings back than most of the weight is twards the back. So account for that. I would take and weigh the plane at the rear wheel with the wings pulled back and weigh the mains, you'll get your answere. one last thing, don't support from the tail feathers, this area can't take the load, you'll have to support from the wing and tail(fuse) together I would think, just remember it's pretty heavy back there with the wings swinging back.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 02-27-2011 at 09:51 AM.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by carpat View Post
    Hi Eric,
    I sent you an e-mail to tell you that I live in Sherbrooke, Quebec and wanted to communicate with you in french by phone. Did you receive it?
    Thanks

Pat
    Yes Carpet, oupss sorry Carpat, I receved your email go ahead call me!

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    if you are going to swing the wings back than most of the weight is twards the back. So account for that. I would take and weigh the plane at the rear wheel with the wings pulled back and weigh the mains, you'll get your answere. one last thing, don't support from the tail feathers, this area can't take the load, you'll have to support from the wing and tail(fuse) together I would think, just remember it's pretty heavy back there with the wings swinging back.
    Thanks for your interest, it mean to me!

Eric

The Kitfox's in Murle's shop have the wings removed for long term storage.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    The Kitfox's in Murle's shop have the wings removed for long term storage.

Well i don't think i will have to store it for long period of time but just hoist it down on the trailer and drive 30min to Trois-Rivières airport.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by chefwarthog View Post
    In 3 point attitude with wings folded, 375 pounds total on the main wheels and 175 pounds on the tail wheel. Arms are +2.5 inches to the mains and 158.5 inches to the tail wheel in the level attitude.

So if I follow you, total weight is distribute 2/3 in front 1/3 rear.

Do you think that this affirmation still exact for the SS and will the those attache point will hold up?
    2/3 front 1/3 rear is probably a good "Ball park" estimate for most Kitfoxes. Thats my opinion anyhow. This is in three point attitude remember. If you suspend it with the tail wheel higher than the main wheels then some weight will shift to the front.

I can't say anything about the attach points strength. Consider using all 4 wing attach points and a spreadder bar side to side and front to rear to distribute weight to all 4 points.

Someone with floats on their kitfox may have an idea if it is good to use these points to lift the kitfox as I see some lift their float planes from these points..
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I use the attach points for lifting mine for float changes. I use eye bolts on all 4 points. I have never tried to pick it up when the wings were folded. If your 23X35 you should be able to slide it in the shop sideways on some sort of a dolly and pick it up with the wings spread out. If so, a simple spreader bar and hoist is all you need to hang it.

another option,..there are vendors that sell aircraft lifts that get installed in a corner,..you roll the plane on ,..secure the gear,..and it lifts the plane up,..what would justify the cost of this aircraft lift ,..the cost difference if there is one,.. on your trusses being built to support the weight.
    you can also increase pitch on your trusses to increase load capacity,..that means more surface to cover ,..more materials to construct ,.etc,.

Things to concider when supporting anything from trusses,..geographical location,.. in effect,. snow loads,..some area's require a 45 lb roof ,.some require a 25 lb roof,..that's per square foot load capacity.

you could double up the trusses that will be supporting the weight of the aircraft too,..so essentially ,..one of the double trusses supports the roof ,..the other truss supports the plane,.. I would still make a rack/cradle that the plane rolled onto with the wings folded back so the landing gear supported the planes weight ,...the rack/cradle could also have a "head ache bar" which would be above the plane so no chance of cranking the plane right into the trusses causing damage to the plane,..
    you havent mentioned the height of your interior wall yet ,.or if you did I missed it ,..or the height of your doors ,..I would make it so the plane hung at least a foot above the top of the biggest door opening,..so anything that fits through the door won't hit the plane ,..box truck etc...

Chase

I think one should stop for a second and rethink how much weight would be suspended from each of the three points. If you use the 2 front wing attach points on the front wing carry through, you would have about 200 lbs. suspended on each side. When you think how much weight is being supported on those points at 3.8 Gs which these planes should carry without damage, 200 lbs. sounds pretty small to me. (Yes I know the struts carry a lot of this weight also but not all of it) Then look at the third attach point at the tail. The front of the verticle stabilizer is 5/8" tube if I remember right. Again you would be supporting about 200 lbs there. When you think about it, you can probably pick up 200 lbs with a 1/8" nylon rope.... that just isn't very much weight. I'll enclose a picture of the tail section of my Kitfox 4. Look at the area just in front of the horizontal stabilizer. Lots of tubeing there to spread the load around, all 200 lbs or so of it. Don't know for sure if the SS you are talking about is made the same, but I would bet it's very close. Take care,
    Jim Chuk
    Avid MK IV (flying)
    Kitfox 4 (building)
    northern Mn

For the ingineering and construction of the garage I think I can manage it, with almost 40 000 hours in the contruction industry. But thanks for your worry...

So telling me to bild a flatbed that could be hoist down on a boat trailer that could look (more or less) like this.