Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My opinion: old fibre-glass fuel tanks are a real hazard

Default Re: My opinion: old fibre-glass fuel tanks are a real hazard

Thank you.
    Kiriako

it may not help in spain but california power systems llc has the take apart filters .http://www.rotaxparts.net/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1349
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

The problem with paper filters is water. If you get water soaked into the paper it will block fuel flow. There are filters with fine stainless steel screens that should solve your immediate problem without causing another. I purchased some from LEAF at Oshkosh last summer.

-- Paul S

Yes, these take appart filters are not without there own problems. I had one on my bike and it unscrewed itself and leaked fuel all over (with the vibration and all). Take a look at the link in the previous post, what really holds it together? What if the glass cracks? Perhaps a metal throw away version of this type filter would be best. Also, I suggest a fule pressure guage to monitor fuel flow heath, even on gravity feed systems.

Roger

I'm planning to use disposable fuel filters with stainless mesh in each line from the wing tank to the header. These are manufactured by ITW-Fastex.
    Here's a link to their datasheets: http://www.itw-fastex-cva.com/content/view/32/33/

[IMG]file:///Users/Gunther/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

-- Paul S
    Attached Images Attached Images

[engineer hat = on]

I just need to restate my dislike of filters anywhere gravity is the only form of flow motivation. (between the wing tank and header/gascolator) It would take very little restriction to stop the flow in this location. Even with a metal screen filter.

One man's opinion.

[/engineer hat]
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The filters I have used so far are the ones recommended by Rotax (atleast in Europe) for the 912 engine. They have a very fine metal mesh but it seems that because they are cilindrical and quite large the fibres are aided by the way fuel flows through the filters and little by little they get through. It seems quite amazing that they can get through such a fine mesh but believe me they do! The smaller disk-like or conical ones suggested by Paul are normally recommended for the 582 engine but I am concerned that their filtering surface area is much too small and even a small accumulation of fibres in a very short period of time could cause a blockage before you can realize and decide to take them apart to clean them (or change them).

The filter suggested by Cap01 looks high quality but I have been warned off glass-filters by a fellow flyer here locally (and ex-fighter pilot) who says that glass filters tend to break and thus cause all sorts of problems with pieces of glass flying all overt the place!

I have taken another look at the additional BMW filter that I have just installed between the header tank and gascolator, which has atleast temporarily resolved my problem and I feel that it might very well do the job even in the long term; I mistakenly said earlier that it was of a paper membrane type but I was wrong, it is of a very fine metallic mesh that is folded on itself several times so it should make it very difficult for the fibers to get through; that and the fact that I will be changing it every 25 hours makes me feel that I have a chance to crack this particular problem.

AV8r3400's concern of the gravity fuel feed being too fragile to tamper with by using multiple filters etc. seems valid to me. In my particular Kitfox there is a pitot like air-feed into the wing tanks that sit on the fuel tank caps which assume are there to force feed the tanks with air and thus ensure better fuel flow. Is this normal ?do all Kitfoxes have them and should these "pitots" be looking forward? My concern is that if you ever end up flying in rain their position will also cause water to be driven into the tanks! Any opinions?

Many thanks for all your much valued opinion, with every new reply I am becoming more knowledgeable of this beautiful little plane of mine and thus more able to enjoy my flying with it, I am much obliged.
    Kind regards,
    Kiriako

Autozone, $9.99 seems to be the same part as A/C Spruce and Rotax Parts.

Spectre Clearview Part Number 2369. Includes ends for 3/8, 5/16 and 1/4 inch.

Have to see one to make sure it's able to be disassembled for cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPirate View Post
    the fibers will also clog the filter, and this will shut your engine down quick..I had a phantom ultralight with 503 DCDI with a fiberglass 10 gallon tank,. after about the 5th dead stick landing ,..I installed the in line filters that you can take apart and clean,..they have the chrome ends with the glass center and a wire screen in the center and you can twist it apart with out tools,..every 10 hours on the meter I took the filters apart and cleaned them until I finally sloshed the tank ,..I used the slosh they use on motor cycle tanks because I could purchase it locally and the slosh for aircraft tanks hadn't yet made the market or it was so new I didn't hear about it,..but it worked well,..I sold the plane shortly after the fix,..and the purchaser never said anything about clogged filters so I assume the fix worked.

Chase
    I used one of those filters once. I landed with fuel going all over the place. I went back to the paper filters. I have over 2000 hrs on paper filters in my kifox. Never an issue. I think the key is to fly the plane. Letting it sit for months on end is no good for any airplane. My cure is to fly fly fly. If your not flying than drain the tanks. simple as that.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I just bought a KF III which had sat for years w/o being flown. When I fueled the wing tank, it leaked like a sieve. Fortunately a drain hole had been built into the wing. Now, for a fix. Do I take the tank out and repair and replace it, do I buy an $500 tank from Kitfox or is there a solution to the problem like a pour-in coating that can be used without taking the tank out?
    I would appreciate any suggestions.
    Wayne