Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 912uls concern

Default Re: 912uls concern

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    soft start, what is that?

I concider my way of starting, soft start, it really is nice.
    The soft start module retards the spark during starting, apparently good for the higher compression of the 912S.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

He guys, excuse my ignorance but what is a "soft start system" and ''the slipper clutchand'', how it works?, do we have to buy the system separate?, does any body have picture of it for me, just to go to bed tonight less ignorant....

Eric
    Last edited by chefwarthog; 02-18-2011 at 02:42 PM.

You can learn more about the BullyHawk soft start module on the Rotax Owners site www.rotax-owner.com, the slipper clutch I believe is pretty much standard with 912S engines at this point.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    You can learn more about the BullyHawk soft start module on the Rotax Owners site www.rotax-owner.com, the slipper clutch I believe is pretty much standard with 912S engines at this point.
    '' Merci '' Dorsal, i will go see that right now

thanks

Eric

I HAVE a 912ULS that has this strange vibration that occurs after approx. 1 hour of flight at cruise setting 5K. After pulling off power a bit it translates a bit more to a concern level. I continue to pull power back to 28-32k then back to cruise power and it smooths out for a bit. I've done all the most obvious carb rebuild/sync/plugs compression etc. This is a used aircraft to me that is a 2004 with 312 hours and very little maintenance. I'm going after the gear box next and will post my findings. Anyone else want to chime in feel free to and any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Mike

RE: "I've since modified my start and shutdown procedures." Can you elaborate on your 'procedures', DF4. I have soft start. 912 always starts easy, but abrupt stop at shutdown is a concern. Thanks, Floog

Quote Originally Posted by mcomeaux53 View Post
    I HAVE a 912ULS that has this strange vibration that occurs after approx. 1 hour of flight at cruise setting 5K. After pulling off power a bit it translates a bit more to a concern level. I continue to pull power back to 28-32k then back to cruise power and it smooths out for a bit. I've done all the most obvious carb rebuild/sync/plugs compression etc. This is a used aircraft to me that is a 2004 with 312 hours and very little maintenance. I'm going after the gear box next and will post my findings. Anyone else want to chime in feel free to and any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Mike
    Mike- if it is smooth for a full hour and then starts to act up I would look real hard at your fuel system (tanks, filters, fuel lines, fuel pump) depending on the year there have been many cases of debris, or something stupid like a fuel line collapsing on itself due to age. Normally when the gearbox is bad it's bad from from the get go(rough idle, vibration at different rpms) at least in my limited experience Good luck- Scott

I forgot to mention the new fuel lines and filters......been there done that to...

Floog, regarding abrupt shutdown: The procedure I use (read it somewhere) is to reduce engine speed to idle (mine is set at 1650), then switch off ignition A and wait for a couple seconds, then switch off B and wait a couple more seconds, then both off. This brings the idle speed down to about 1400 rpm so the shutoff is not as abrupt.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS