Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Exhaust Pipe Failure

Default Exhaust Pipe Failure

On a recent flight I noticed a change in engine noise. I looked down and my EGT had gone to O. I assumed the probe had come out somehow. I was 15 miles from my home airport so I headed direct. By the timeI was down and taxing back to the hanger the engine sound was a comical fast putt-putt-putt. Upon examination, the weld about two inches off the cylindar had failed. It was a clean break of the weld, no crack in the pipe. The welder who fixed it wasn't impressed with the original Skystar factory weld. I remove my top cowling after every 3 flights and now pay special attention to the exhaust pipes. Fortunately for me there was anything close enought to catch fire.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

84KF

Default Re: Exhaust Pipe Failure

"The welder who fixed it wasn't impressed with the original Skystar factory weld."

Pretty harsh words.
    I would suspect improper installation was subjecting the weld area to excess stress.

Default Re: Exhaust Pipe Failure

Steve, I know what you are saying. But I do not recall any binding in the system. It went on farely easy. In fact right after I installed the exhaust system, Skystar came out with a service bulletin requiring extra braces on the muffler and tail pipe. I removed it and sent it back to the factory for mods. At this time I removed the entire exhaust system and then reinstalled because I wanted to put anti-seize on all the connections. I used proper torque procedures and the sytem went back together easy. This one weld looked different from the others. I'm not a welder but I believe this one was not right. Other than that it's a fantastic airplane and flies great. I'm just using extra caution because things do break. (I won't blame the break on a couple of my landings!).
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)