Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 912 uls vs Viking HF110

Default Re: 912 uls vs Viking HF110

Quote Originally Posted by chefwarthog View Post
    In Fact the Wright brother did not disegned there own engine, but they turn to Charles Edward Taylor who build an inline motor from aluminium for the Flyer 1.

There is no flight record of the HF 110 yet it is a new engine, but have you info on Viking compagnie?
    I beg to differ the Wrights did indeed design their own engine Mr Taylor worked for the Wrights and did work on the engine and it was not an automotive engine it was designed for the Wright Flyer, and yes iwas inline but laid flat or a flat 4 and used an evaporator vs a carburetor.
    http://nasm.si.edu/wrightbrothers/fly/1903/engine.cfm
    http://wright.nasa.gov/airplane/eng03.html
    Last edited by Mnflyer; 02-13-2011 at 03:19 PM.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

Quote Originally Posted by chefwarthog View Post
    And why not a Honda injection Vikink HF110 instead of a Rotax 912 ULS???
    Go see for your self at @....and let me know.

http://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/Tech.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bj7P7ZihEc
    Thanks for those links they are very intererting, I leard new facts for me.
    dont stop, I need to leard all pertinence fact about Kit Fox before to order my kit.

Chef, I just sent you a personal message regarding the facts of the Wright Brothers engine history. They DID design their engine.

Check out the Viking website and Eggenfellner website. He has a history of building aircraft engines from Subaru car engines. Like the others on the site, I am anxious to see an established history with the Honda engine. I like everything I see about this engine so far.

Thanks for those info Runwayrex, I just fond another video; a engine for you plan at $9900.00 from Oshkosh 2010 show, with a 95% finalize version of the HF 110.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itn90...eature=related

Is any one did see a production version of this engine at Sebring 2011 show? In the mean time have got to go shovel 16 inc of **** that fell in my driveway last night............

I'm sticking with my choice of engines ,..the 2009 2.0 EFI ford focus engine ,..in fact Boeing also thinks this is a good choice ,..they are using 2 of them on their latest recon aircraft,..the only downfall is the reduction ,..other then boeing's own reduction they use on their new bird,..I don't think there are any bolt on gear reductions available ,..so I'm building my own belt reduction.
    Stock the engine is 140 hp and weighs a little on the heavy side of 211 lbs,.( with components) but this engine is also used on the ralley race cars so lighter components that are getting track tested are in the makes every day,..
    soon I'll be installing mine and I'll shave as much weight as I can off of the "bolt on" components by remanufacturing them lighter to get my core weight below 200 lbs. I say core weight ,..I mean ready to turn key and fly weight.
    there are a few motor cycle engine conversions out there as well,..some are using them on trike's and other light sport applications,..there is a guy in Vermont that has a suzuki motor modified for flight ,( sory no link's my computer went thru the ringer and I lost allot of info),..it's pumping 115 hp? or close to that ,..and weighs less then the rotax, with a gear reduction included,..
    you just have to be willing to "step out of the box" so to speak, there's allot of other choices as far as power plants go,.. some even use industrial engines to power their aircraft ,.."The Back Yard Flyer" uses an industrial 4 stroke engine with a belt reduction for their aircraft,..this is an ultralight aircraft and doesn't fly the speeds that the kitfox will fly ,..it's just another example of what a little research in choices available are out there and have been applied to powered flight.
    A major concern of mine is the new fuels that are being manufactured for GA aircraft engines,..and also talk of making auto gas or the equivelant to mogas more available at airports,..this is also something that has to be concidered in choice of power plant ,..the dead line for a lead free AV gas is fast approaching.

Chase

Question Re: 912 uls vs Viking HF110

Under the FAQ section of the Viking website, I found this:

"Also, and this is important, your engine cost is about $500-1,000, everything else is the expense of the parts made to make it lighter, to have a dual computer, to mount it in such a way that it will fit in an airframe, to cool it and to get the exhaust overboard. So, if you totally trashed your engine, for any reason, you are out $750 and some time to replace it."

Am I to understand that brand new, factory built Honda Fit engines can be purchased for $750?! I have a GREAT deal of trouble believing this. Perhaps the core engine is not brand new. Does anyone know where the source engine comes from?

OK...I'll bite with my first post. I ordered the Kitfox Super 7 from John at Sebring last month and look forward to June Shipping. I live 1/2 hour south of Viking and see them as a strong competitor for the engine choice. Obviously, the ROTAX is proven...However, there are similarities. Both use geared reduction PSRU's. Both have high RPM and piston speeds. I'm an instrumentation type so not a power guy...However, I've been reading a lot on the L15A engineering. Internals as good or better than Rotax for sure. A replacement "new" crate engine from Honda racing @ $2500. So here's the rub...unproven experimental or proven high cost. The RCM curve suggests that the 912ULS suffers failure in the first 50 hours like any such complicated system. Frankly, to early to decide...but I am intrigued with the thought of substancially returning affordability into GA.

I haven't spent time at Viking but will go up to X50 soon to check out his operation...I too have a slew of questions...but hopefull!

Go to vansairforce.com and do a search under Eggenfellner. You'll have all the info you need.

If you purchase a Honda Fit engine at $2500.00 you will got the motor + transmition in all, but when you want a motor for a aircraft you don't need the transmition just the engine.

so maybe that's why it is cheaper but I doubt you can buy for $250.00........

But if you pay $4000 at 5000. less then a Rotax you can have some problemes, but still pay less for you engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

CRAV8R, Can you expand on the "Checkered history" of Eggenfellner? I'm not sure if that's a complimentary (like checkered flag) or questionable (like spotted). There's a fellow in our chapter with an Eggenfellner Subaru in his plane and likes it a lot. He reports that Eggenfellner is quite talented from an engineering standpoint, but not much of a people person.