Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sun n Fun

Default Sun n Fun

With yet another major snow storm imminent it felt like a good time to think about flying someplace warm. Anyone else planning on going this year?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: Sun n Fun

I went last year. It was okay. If you go, bring lots of $$$$. It is very expensive there. ($16 for a sandwich, fries and a drink!)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

i've gone every year for the past 10 yrs. the wife and i enjoy camping for the week. of course i'm only a 1/2hr drive away from lakeland. i actually like it better than oshkosh. but this year will be a little different seeing as how my s7 kit is on order. i will be looking for any and all kitfox's. hope many of you are there. ken

My two buddies and I are going. We got a 3 br condo in Davenport and will drive in each day, Tuesday-Friday. Tried camping one year but that's not for me. We hope to visit some of the demonstrations and perhaps catch a good deal on a few items and of course see the Blue Angels perform. If anyone is going to be there in a KF we would love to see it.

We are about 25% complete on building our KF SS.
    Things I'm looking for:
    Oil sump for an O200 engine
    Cessna 150 exhaust
    Dynon, MGL, or AFS EFIS/EMS
    Lighting - Strobes, position, etc.
    Radio
    Xponder
    etc.

I am planning to go to Sun-n-Fun but I am driving rather than flying my Series 7.

I have a daughter that lives in Brandon and we are going to drive there, spend some vacation time with her, then go to the show and then visit some relatives on the way back to Idaho. Will probably be on the road 3 weeks or so.

Wouldn't mind meeting some of you KF drivers (and put a face on a name)if you are there at the show. Maybe we could meet for some of the activities there.

I would like to meet some other KF builders/owners.
    Anyone know an event or some such we could meet at? There will be 3 in my party and we are building a KF SS.

War Eagle, we would like to see your KF.... I wanted to show my buddies your riveted wing fabric. Plus it is just one nice looking aeroplane.

Tommy

I'm planning to go, but am going to carpool in a friends 172. I'm wondering what the typical weather is for that week. Also in the regular aircraft camping how do get a good spot near the showers?
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

I have been there six times over the years and it has been mostly in the 70's & 80's.

Sometime it rains in the morning and/or evening but sunny during the day.

One year it had been so dry that the area was dealing with forest fires.

Sometimes a storm will come in with lots of wind and rain but it is usually over quickly. I have never seen it cold that you needed anything other than a very light jacket and maybe a rain poncho or umbrella so you don't get caught is a rain shower.

Usually you need a hat, sun glasses, lots of sun screen and good walking shoes.

I have never camped on the grounds so I can't offer any advice on getting close to showers. If it is like Oshkosh and Arlington, they actually have multiple locations that are usually within a somewhat reasonable walking distance.

i agree with war eagle. temps may even reach the 90's during the day. i've never flown in so i'm not sure of the shower situation for aircraft campers. ken

When I flew in last year, we parked in the HBC (homebuilt camping) area. The showers were very nice (IMO better than Oshkosh) and were a 1/4 mile walk from us. Like any of these gatherings, if you choose the right time to go, you need not wait in line.

Food bought on the field was (as I said before) embarrassingly expensive. However, where we were parked, there was a "courtesy" tent near by run by some locals. They were very, very nice people that brought in sandwiches and soda and even beer with only a donation jar on the table. For fun, one night we ordered pizza and had it delivered through a hole in the fence.
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 02-16-2011 at 06:17 AM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos